Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't seem to get PayPal IPN to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Can't seem to get PayPal IPN to work Reply with quote

I've configured a fake PayPal business account. The email address I used (a real one) is the same as the one specified in Settings.xml. I've double-checked this.

I've sent test PayPal messages with the IPN test tool to verify that the web server is properly receiving posts. This results in a new serial being generated and sent to the configured account, as well as a sales notification. In other words, from the IPN test tool everything seems to be working fine.

I've made sure that my fake PayPal business account is "Enabled" on the Test Accounts page. I've also enabled IPN for that fake business account, and verified that the URL works from a web browser (Default.aspx).

I've changed the purchase.html page to use the fake business' email address and I've also changed the product ID to the one in Settings.xml. When I test this out with the purchase page the order goes through successfully but apparently the order is never sent to IPN.

Is there a step I'm missing here somewhere? I am pretty sure I've followed the entire Infralution documentation on this to the letter (including some steps the documentation doesn't mention).

EDIT: Oh, and I should mention that I also changed the purchase price in purchase.html to match Settings.xml.
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've figured it out.

Even though when you create test accounts you use paypalsandboxseller@mydomain.com, when you change the payments.html file, you need to use the autogenerated email address PayPal creates for your test account (e.g. payp_734687468_biz@mydomain.com). You also need to change Settings.xml to use this autogenerated email address.

If you are using the correct email in payments.html, you should see the message "Joe Public's Test Store" in your shopping cart, where "Joe Public" is the first name and last name you used to create your fake business account.

If you're using the wrong email address in payments.html, you would just see the email address instead of a formatted store title.
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the IPN code can detect that pay_95495634_biz@mydomain.com is a valid PayPal account. Even though I now have the IPN posts being processed and serial numbers being generated, I get an email sent by IPN.NET containing this text:

"Invalid PayPal Account: paypal_1189399122_biz@mydomain.com"

Am I doing something wrong?
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I configure the IPN.NET Test Tool to use the mangled email address everything works properly. There must be something in the PayPal Sandbox's IPN post that is different from the IPN.NET test tool.
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all I had to do was modify Web.config so that the IPN server restarted itself, loading the new Settings.xml changes.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got everything working now?
VisualCSharp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yes.

I like to document the process I went through in threads like this. I find it can help others who have a deployment experience similar to mine.

I would recommend that you update your documentation to reflect that PayPal's fake customer and business accounts can't initially use real email addresses. The email address it prompts you for at the start is just used to generate the randomized email addresses. It's *after* this random generation has occurred that the developer needs to create the email accounts to match the PayPal randomized accounts.

For me this was easy because I use Google Apps (definitely recommended for things like this).
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal must have recently changed this because previously you could create sandbox email accounts with whatever email address you wanted to. We will take a look at the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: