Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UNclear on use with controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sputnik

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: UNclear on use with controls Reply with quote

Let me say, first, that this is my first attempt at marketing a control, so go easy on me, since I'm not sure what to do.

Your sample for using the licensing system with controls, does not use the method for exes, concerning inclusion of the 3 extra class files, the license Install form, etc
So, in recreating it, I had to add a reference to the Infralution Licensing component.
First, wouldn't that mean that I had to install that somewhere on the user's computer during installation?

Is it possible just to include the 3 files, and License Install Form, in the DLL, just like I did with the EXE? I tried, and I can't get the LicenseInstallForm, or the messagebox to show up.

If not - what am I Missing here?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your sample for using the licensing system with controls, does not use the method for exes, concerning inclusion of the 3 extra class files, the license Install form, etc
So, in recreating it, I had to add a reference to the Infralution Licensing component.

The sample project references the Infralution.License.dll (rather than including the class files directly in the project) so that customers evaluating ILS, who don't have the source code for the classes, can build and run the project.

Quote:
First, wouldn't that mean that I had to install that somewhere on the user's computer during installation?

If you reference the DLL then you have to have it installed in the GAC of your machine.

Quote:
Is it possible just to include the 3 files, and License Install Form, in the DLL, just like I did with the EXE?

This is possible and is in fact the recommended approach.

Quote:
I tried, and I can't get the LicenseInstallForm, or the messagebox to show up.

What do you mean exactly? Are you have problems compiling the code or using the control in another project? Try building and using the sample licensed control project. Then modify it to remove the reference to the DLL and add the source code classes to the project.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Help with using licensing with a Control Reply with quote

I mean, I added all threee .vb files, and I added the license install form.
then, I copied the code pretty much as you have, in the example, in the Sub New of the control.

Then, I compile, and add the control to the Toolbox, then add it to a web form.

However, the message never comes up, asking for the serial number, or anything
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The sample code is for licensing a Windows Forms control (not a Web Forms control). The licensing for Web Forms controls is somewhat different to Windows Forms controls. Unfortunately we can't give a lot of assistance here because our expertise is more in Windows Forms control licensing. I'd suggest doing some searching on the web for material related to licensing web controls. You should still be able to use ILS for verifying the license keys - but the mechanism will be different.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: But, but - why should I do extra searching on the web Reply with quote

Are you saying the sample code in the custom control sample, was just a copy from your Windows Form code, and won't work in a Custom DLL????
This answer did not make me happy.

HERE's what you say on your Site:
Component/Control Licensing - ILS provides a COMPLETE solution for component and control developers. Components and controls licensed using ILS generate runtime licenses which are incorporated automatically by Visual Studio into the clients application. Design time licenses cannot be reverse engineered from the runtime license.

If the code in your sample won't work, why even include it?

I made the choice to purchase your product, because your data said it could be used on custom controls.
therefore, it was implied, that I could get support on how to make it work.
It seemed fairly obvious, that since you put your license check in Sub New, that it was possible to do so in in my custom control. I even emailed ahead of purchasing, asking if your licensing system worked with web controls.

I did a search on licensing before I bought your product. If I can't get support on how to make it work, I suppose I'll need to purchase another product, so I can get support on how to do what it's advertised to do.
Why should I need to so an Internet search on how to get your product to work as advertised?
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying the sample code in the custom control sample, was just a copy from your Windows Form code, and won't work in a Custom DLL????

No - the sample code works fine for licensing Windows Forms controls (in custom dlls). Our own controls (eg Virtual Tree) are licensed using ILS.

But Windows Forms controls are not the same as ASP.NET Web Form controls (and Microsoft's licensing framework does not work in the same way for Web Form controls). In particular ASP.NET does not support embedding runtime license keys in the compiled resources of the ASP.NET application.

Your previous post:

Quote:

made me believe you were attempting to develop/license an ASP.NET Web Form control. Is this the case?

Quote:
I even emailed ahead of purchasing, asking if your licensing system worked with web controls.

We've checked our email records. We have received a number of emails from you - but haven't located any asking about web controls. If we had we would have provided the information in the last post - which is that the fully worked sample included in ILS is for a Windows forms control not an ASP.NET control.

We are willing to help you - however we were pointing out that we don't have a prebuilt solution for licensing Web Controls. Maybe if you email us a zipped sample project showing what you are doing we can be of more assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: