Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generating Evaluation Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmdrew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Generating Evaluation Keys Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm certain I must be missing something simple here but I haven't found an answer yet...

I want to have an evaluation key distributed with my product and allow the user to enter a full key at later date. However I can't see how to actually generate a trial/evaluation license. I have looked in the License Tracker utility and added a new product but when I generate a new license it doesn't ask for a time periof or anything else to restrict the license to be a trial. I have extended the License tracker so that I can enter a customer ID and count value to the license but wouldn't have thought this would affect the licenses.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,

Chris Drew
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most developers don't require the use to enter a key for evaluations. Instead if there is no installed license then your application simply falls back to evaluation mode and uses the EvaluationMonitor class to monitor the period of the trial. Take a look at the Licensed App sample project - it uses the EvaluationMonitor in this way.

The only reason you might issue keys for evaluations is if you want to control/restrict who can actually evaluate your software. In this case you include something in the license key ProductInfo that indicates that it is an evaluation (and perhaps the length of evaluation) eg "E30" might indicate a 30 day evaluation. Then when you read the license key you again use the evaluation monitor to monitor the trial period. There is no point doing this however if you are going to distribute the key with the app.

Quote:
I have extended the License tracker so that I can enter a customer ID and count value to the license but wouldn't have thought this would affect the licenses

Did you realize that each license key generated by license tracker already has a unique serial number? So your customer ID may be rendundant.
cmdrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help - once I found the Evaluation code it was easy from there on. The customer id's are required as these are internally generated and are used as a database index but thanks anyway.

Regards,

Chris Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: