Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop me before I require Product Activation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeCritter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Stop me before I require Product Activation Reply with quote

I know the arguments against it, but I'd like an opinion here before I do something stupid-

How self-defeating is it to require a CF application be registered to the same person listed as the PDA's Owner? Desktop's don't an analogous piece of data.

The only support headache I see is for legitimate name name-changes, but those are reasonably infrequent.

The reason I ask is that many of the arguments against Product Activation don't seem to apply to a PDA.

If the user buy's a new PDA, the application will still work on the new one with the same key they had.

If they give or sell the PDA to someone else, the license wasn't transferable anyway...

Thoughts?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How self-defeating is it to require a CF application be registered to the same person listed as the PDA's Owner? Desktop's don't an analogous piece of data.
I wouldn't call this Product Activation - since you aren't attempting to lock the license to a physical piece of hardware. The analogous data for a PC might be the Computer Name. The user can buy a completely new PC - as long as they use the same Computer Name. Locking to this can have some attraction since it is a good deterent to customers simply sharing the license keys with their friends or colleagues.

The downside is that you will inevitably have to deal with some extra support due to this - but provided you are upfront about your licensing approach I think it is reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: