Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting an item deep in the tree structure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hvid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Selecting an item deep in the tree structure Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm using your tree view to display fairly large quantities of items (100.000+). I'm using standard data binding (GetParent, GetChildren, GetCellData, GetRowData events).

Given any object in the structure the tree is databinding I would like to be able to select and show that item in the tree view. Essentially I know the id of the item I want to select, so I am able to load this item out of the structure the tree is databinding. However, when I try to databind this particular item the treeview will only display this particular item, and not the parent items that this item is nested below. When debugging I can see that the GetParent event is called on the item, and all the parent items are retrieved, but they are not displayed in the treeview?

Illustration:

---A
---B
---C

1) retrieve C
2) databind C
4) debugging GetParent event handler shows me that B and C are retrieved and set in the event handler.

5) Observed result:
---C (Root item)

6) Expected result
---A
---B
---C (selected)

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

My illustrations had all their spaces removed so I'm redoing those for better understanding:

Illustration:

A
---B
|||---C

5) Observed result:
C (Root item)

6) Expected result
A
---B
|||---C (selected)
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be confusing setting the datasource with selection - but I'm not entirely sure because I'm not sure what you mean by step 2) below.

Quote:
1) retrieve C
2) databind C
4) debugging GetParent event handler shows me that B and C are retrieved and set in the event handler

If you mean something like

virtualTree.DataSource = C

Then the result you got is exactly what I would expect. The data source will always be the root item of the tree. To set the selected item you need to use virtualTree.SelectedRow or SelectedItem. To be able to use SelectedItem each item can only appear once in the hierarchy and GetParent must return the parent item (or null for the root item).
Hvid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I originally wanted to use .SelectedItem and set it to the object I wanted to select. The problem is these objects don't exist until they are databound meaning they are IO loaded dynamically as the tree expands. The structure I am databinding against is stored on the disk with a lightweight id based index on top of it. Whenever I retrieve an item it will be a different object than last time - therefore .SelectedItem doesn't seem to work.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can override the Equals() and the GetHashCode() methods for your class so that instances that represent the same underlying object on disk will be treated as the same object.

Virtual Tree uses the IList.IndexOf() and IList.Contains() methods to locate the row for a given domain data item. For nearly all list implementations these rely on the object.Equals() and GetHashCode() methods - so overriding the Equals and GetHashCode methods generally works. If this isn't possible however you could alternatively create a list implementation that implements the IndexOf and Contains methods so that they are based on the underlying object identity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: