Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locking unlocking features with Evaluation version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoNuremberg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Locking unlocking features with Evaluation version Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am now trying the evaluation version of ILS. It is working fine I am also checking its C# examples.

My question is that I want to create a evaluation license for our product which has feature limits for the end user but I don't know how I can manage to do it. Can anyone help me please?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal mechanism for evaluations/trial versions is to allow your application to run if there is no license installed but restrict the allowed features and/or use the EvaluationMonitor class to restrict how long the evaluation can be used for. This mechanism is easy to implement simply read the license and store it in a global variable. When activating restricted features check that there is a license.

An alternative mechanism is to issue license keys for evaluations. This means that for a customer to evaluate your software they must first obtain a license key from you. In this case you include information in the license key that indicates that is an evaluation key and the length of the evaluation. For instance the product info might be: "E30" indicating a 30 day evaluation. You can then read this ProductInfo when you read the license and use the EvaluationMonitor class to check the restriction.
NeoNuremberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
The normal mechanism for evaluations/trial versions is to allow your application to run if there is no license installed but restrict the allowed features and/or use the EvaluationMonitor class to restrict how long the evaluation can be used for. This mechanism is easy to implement simply read the license and store it in a global variable. When activating restricted features check that there is a license.

An alternative mechanism is to issue license keys for evaluations. This means that for a customer to evaluate your software they must first obtain a license key from you. In this case you include information in the license key that indicates that is an evaluation key and the length of the evaluation. For instance the product info might be: "E30" indicating a 30 day evaluation. You can then read this ProductInfo when you read the license and use the EvaluationMonitor class to check the restriction.

Thanks for your reply. I am quite new in licensing stuff that's why I may ask silly questions Wink You have written that I have to modify the EvaluationMonitor class in order to restrict the features. How can I include this class in my project? Is it possible to see an example? An example would have helped me very much.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Licensed Application sample (which is installed when you install our evaluation software) illustrates using the EvaluationMonitor class. You can open the sample projects from Start->Programs->Infralution menus.

You don't use the EvaluationMonitor to restrict features - you use it to monitor how long your application has been running in evaluation mode on the customers computer.
NeoNuremberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
The Licensed Application sample (which is installed when you install our evaluation software) illustrates using the EvaluationMonitor class. You can open the sample projects from Start->Programs->Infralution menus.

You don't use the EvaluationMonitor to restrict features - you use it to monitor how long your application has been running in evaluation mode on the customers computer.

Ok I have been looking up the codes. What I try to do is some kind a process in our software

if (isLicensed)
{

//which type of License
}
else
//user restriction

For example in CustomerLicensedApp_C there is a form which isn't active because I don't have the license key. So how can I compile such an application which can make some features inactive according to the license type? If you can help me I will really be glad and I am also new to NET family I am a java programmer that's why please be a bit more clear to me.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to enable features based on the license type then you include something to identify the enabled features in the "ProductInfo" when you generate the license.

Have a look at the LicensedApplication sample. If you include "2.0" in the product info when generating a license then when you install the generated key for this sample it enables an additional text box.
NeoNuremberg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
If you want to enable features based on the license type then you include something to identify the enabled features in the "ProductInfo" when you generate the license.

Have a look at the LicensedApplication sample. If you include "2.0" in the product info when generating a license then when you install the generated key for this sample it enables an additional text box.

So I included the Product Info "2.0" in LicenseKey Generator and LicenseTracker but the textbox is still inactive. What should I do?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did this with the evaluation version (where password = TEST) then the key generated should have been:

7BF1-6F08-19F0-D256-0F85-833D-9743-BAFE

Next delete the license file (LicensedApp.lic) for the sample application. This is found in the bin/Debug or bin/Release directory. When you run the sample app again you will be prompted for a key. Enter the above license key. Both text boxes should now be enabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: