Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SQLDB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: SQLDB Reply with quote

Hi,

All versions since 2.5.x have come with a SQLDB.ZIP, containing SQLserver DB for attachment to SQLServer.

We have now just wanted to start to use MSSQL (2k) after a long while using the Access License database. (Only because we want to do more server side integration).

We are currently using 3.2.1 (upgraded from 3.2.0 today), currently against Access DB.

Q. If I point my license tracker exe.config to SQL server DB attached from the latest 3.2.1 release (dated 08/09/2005 13:12) (Empty tables) I get a 'SYNTAX Error near keyword 'COLUMN' error.

If I upsize the Access DB, into a new sql2k database, I get other syntax errors on startup of LicTracker.

So what I am really asking is: am I using the right SQLDB.ZIP? Is it still functional with 3.2.1.
(The SQL server is remote from the pc running lictrack).

Finally if/when i get SQL working with 3.2.1, is there a preferred way to import the Access data, or do I have to manually import/export from Access with the constraints/identities off.

PS: At 3.2.1 our customgenerators stopped working, but a compile under vs2005 sorted it fine - funny though, as 3..0.0+ worked fine under vs2003 compiled generators?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what I am really asking is: am I using the right SQLDB.ZIP? Is it still functional with 3.2.1.

There is indeed a problem here. The SQLDB files were produced for an earlier version of License Tracker. The License Tracker application SHOULD upgrade the schema - however the upgrade statements are failing on SQL Server. We will get a fix (3.2.2) out for this ASAP.

Quote:
Finally if/when i get SQL working with 3.2.1, is there a preferred way to import the Access data, or do I have to manually import/export from Access with the constraints/identities off.

Upsizing from access can be a bit troublesome. You can try using the Access upsizing wizard - however this sometimes refuses to convert data and has problems with the "System" table used by LicenseTracker to manage the schema version. If you use the upsizing wizard then you will probably have to create the "System" table manually in SQL Server. To see the System table in Access turn on "Show Hidden objects" in the access options. You will need to create a table of the same name and structure in your SQL Database. It should have a single row which contains the current version of the database schema (currently "3.1.0").

The upsizing wizard also unfortunately does not convert some of the Default values from the Access tables. This leads to other errors when adding new Products and Sales when using the current release. We will make some changes in 3.2.2 to allow License Tracker to work with upsized dbs that are missing default values for columns

Quote:
PS: At 3.2.1 our customgenerators stopped working, but a compile under vs2005 sorted it fine - funny though, as 3..0.0+ worked fine under vs2003 compiled generators?

You generally need to recompile custom generators when upgrading License Tracker. If you have issues try deleting the reference to the LicenseTracker.API.dll and readding. Moving to VS2005 is probably a good move in any case. The next major version of License Tracker (3.3) will be a native VS2005 app and will no longer support VS2003 custom generators.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK we now have a fix out for this (Version 3.2.2). This also includes new SQLDB files for the current version.

The Access Upsizing wizard still seems to have issues with the way it converts some of the table definitions - so you are probably better off using the SQLDB tables included in the new release (3.2.2) and then importing your data.
dna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Its nice to post a message, go to sleep, wake up next day and have a solution waiting when you start up the pc.
(I guess the time diff works to my advantage also)
Big round of applause to Infralution Very Happy
dna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small word of warining:

The included SQLDB.zip for 3.2.2 will only attach correctly to SQL2005, not SQL2000 - not really a major problem for me, but for others could cause pain. Quick/dirty solution is to generate script, and use that to build on SQL2000, and add needed rows - found import/export from 2005->2000 causes problem for LicTrack (exception LargeChange - using value -1, needs > 0). Copy DB wizard fails also, but that a M$ prob with wizard between 8.0/9.0 sql servers.

Hope this helps someone else
kiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dna wrote:

The included SQLDB.zip for 3.2.2 will only attach correctly to SQL2005, not SQL2000 - not really a major problem for me, but for others could cause pain.

I got that pain!! Sad

dna wrote:

Quick/dirty solution is to generate script, and use that to build on SQL2000, and add needed rows

is there any very kindly person, sending the script to me?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a response from DNA? We've generated a script that you can download from here. Let us know how you go.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a few issues with the script in the previous post. Thanks to kiter we have now put a zip file with SQL2000 compatible mdf/ldf files that you can use in our download area here.
bpieslak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I read through this thread and downloaded the latest SQL2000DB.zip file.

The LicenseTracker launches, and I am able to create a new Customer and a new Distributor.

When I try to create a new Product, I get a NullReferenceException at Infralution.LicenseTracker.Product.get_KeyStrength()

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks
-Brian
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the latest version of License Tracker? This sounds a lot like a bug that was fixed in a previous version.
bpieslak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Help > About menu option, I'm using 3.2.0.0.

In the downloads area of the website, it looks like I'm behind a version, since the latest version is 3.2.4.

I'll download the latest version and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks,
Brian
bpieslak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. The version 3.2.4 fixed my issue.
Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the help,
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: