Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for ideas for a run time based evaluation monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEdvalson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for ideas for a run time based evaluation monitor Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently using the Evaluation Monitor to provide a 30 day / 10 use trial period for my product.

I would like to change that to a model that many games are using now where you are limited to 60 minutes of game play. I have considered instantiating a new Evaluation Monitor once a minute to increment the usage count once / minute. However, I fear that this would make it trivial for someone to crack the system using a Registry Tracking tool.

Has anyone implemented anything like this? Do you have any suggestions regarding how to go about doing this?

Thanks,

Don
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately any Evaluation monitoring mechanism is vulnerable to a user using Registry or File watching utilities. Because you have to change something on the users system to record the information this change can always be tracked and reversed by the user. The partially good news is that crackers are typically not usually interested in providing workarounds for mechanisms of this kind (they prefer to crack your actual application). This means that the only people who will attempt to backdoor this mechanism would be those tech savvy enough to use the Registry and File watching utilities. This is probably not a large proportion of your users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: