Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show preview for Message Boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Show preview for Message Boxes Reply with quote

I really enjoy the preview feature of Globalizer.Net, but naturally, it only works for "real" dialogs, not message boxes.

Therefore, I would like to suggest a possible way to show previews for message boxes also. The ingredients:
    * naming for message box text and caption has to follow certain naming conventions, such that it is possible to guess, which values belong together
    * special tags are added (in some developer-friendly way) to indicate, how the message box should look like.

As an example, suppose the resources file contains:
Code:
mboxWelcomeMessage = "Hi, this is a welcome message. Would you like to proceed?"
mboxWelcomeMessageCaption = "Welcome!"

The mboxWelcomeMessage-entry gets a tag added to the comment-column "[MBOX_I_OC]" (this is of course done by some magical right-click on the resource entry in Globalizer.net)

Clicking one of those items now shows a message box in the preview window. According to the tag, the message box displays an information-icon and OK- and Cancel-buttons.

Hope you like this suggestion!
Regards,
Andreas
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it would probably be better if the mechanism didn't rely on interpreting comments. The other issue is that many Message Box strings are dynamically composed.

To get the same actual sizing and formatting that MessageBox.Show gives you I think we would have to use MessageBox.Show - this would preclude have the display in the preview window. We could however provide a (right) menu that would allow you to display the message box when the Caption/Message is selected. What do you think?
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is not necessary to be overly precise when displaying the preview. For me, the goal is just to avoid questions by the translators. Displaying the messagebox-preview on a different place and by different means as displaying a dialog-preview will certainly confuse the translators.
What about displaying a self-written look-alike, together with a small "Click here to test the Message-Box"-Button?

For the dynamic composing, currently I am using comments to clarify dynamic strings, for instance
Code:
txtJobInfo="Job \"{0}\" ({1}x{2}mm, {3})"
would have the comment
Code:
e.g. Job "MyJobName" (16.3x22.2mm, 10.03.2011)

If I instead could write either
Code:
0="MyJobName", 1="16.3", 2="22.2", 3="10.03.2011"
or perhaps even
Code:
"MyJobName", "16.3", "22.2", "10.03.2011"
and Globalizer manages to display the corresponding full strings in the preview window, I would also be happy.

For the message-box example from my previous post, this could come down to a comment like
Code:
[MBOX_I_OC, "some text", "some more text"]

Finally, if you really don't like writing textual comments that are used for clarifying the meaning of the resource into the comment box (!), you still have the option to add the necessary data to the gxl-file instead.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good suggestions there and we will look at incorporating them. This feature is unlikely to make the initial release of the next major upgrade (since the features for it have just about been finalized) - but we will look at it after then.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while coming - but this suggestion has now been implemented in Version 4.1.0. This allows you to specify format parameters for translators either directly in Globalizer or in structured comments (where they are parsed by Globalizer). Messages Boxes, File Open and other system dialogs can also now be displayed directly in the Preview window.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: