Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still deciding! General questions and Compact Framework?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Still deciding! General questions and Compact Framework? Reply with quote

I intend to use the Infralution Licensing System on the Compact Framework with a program in the cost range of $10-$20.
Does this work with both Smartphone and Pocket PC edition devices? What about WM5.0? What about CF2.0?

I would like a solution that gives me and my customers the following flexibility. Can you comment whether the Infralution Licensing System supports these functions (or to what extent?):

Give away time-limited copies of the program with registration key that expires on a certain date. This may be one key for a group of people, or one key per person. I've not decided yet.

Give away time-limited and feature-limited copies that expire on a certain number of days after installation, that is robust against installing a second time. When the user inputs a valid registration key, the time limits and feature limits are removed.

If for some reason the licensing or other parts of the program do not work, my customer should be able to reinstall the older version and use the old key and be able to continue functioning.

Here are some things I'm still trying to decide on. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Display Registered Name (person or company) during splash screen (?).

Embed email address(?). Allow "online" registration, as well as email followup.

I would like to have a "transition period" where both new and old keys will work for a specific release. (?)

On a new version of the program, optionally 1) require a new key to be used or 2) require the old key to be re-entered. (?)
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this work with both Smartphone and Pocket PC edition devices? What about WM5.0? What about CF2.0?

It should work on any device that supports .NET CF1.0 or CF2.0

Quote:
Give away time-limited copies of the program with registration key that expires on a certain date. This may be one key for a group of people, or one key per person. I've not decided yet.

Most authors use the EvaluationMonitor class to allow anyone to download and install a time or usage limited trial version without having to issue keys. You can however embed trial information (for instance an expiry date) in a the product info of the license keys and require your trial users to get a key from you.

Quote:
Give away time-limited and feature-limited copies that expire on a certain number of days after installation, that is robust against installing a second time. When the user inputs a valid registration key, the time limits and feature limits are removed.

The EvaluationMonitor information persists (you can't uninstall, reinstall to reset the evaluation period). It also detects attempts to wind the clock forward while installing and then back to extend the evaluation period.

Quote:
If for some reason the licensing or other parts of the program do not work, my customer should be able to reinstall the older version and use the old key and be able to continue functioning.

This would not be a problem.

Quote:
Display Registered Name (person or company) during splash screen (?).

A good idea - or even display prominently in the main app window and on printouts. You can either embed the full name in the license key product info - which will result in longer keys. Or you can embed a checksum in the license key and validate the details entered by the user. See the Custom License Application sample project for an example of this.

Quote:
Embed email address(?). Allow "online" registration, as well as email followup.

You can build online registration using the API we provide.

Quote:
I would like to have a "transition period" where both new and old keys will work for a specific release. (?)

You could do this by having a separate EvaluationMonitor for each new product (thus allowing a new evaluation period for the new features).

Quote:
On a new version of the program, optionally 1) require a new key to be used or 2) require the old key to be re-entered. (?)

Often you want to maintain just one code baseline. That is you want to avoid having to maintain separate code for each version that you charge for. To achieve this you can include information about the licensed version in the product info of the license key. The when you read the key you simply enable the features that the user has paid for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your response. Most of your answers I think I understand, and will research further (I assume there's a user's manual or developers guide somewhere).

Futher question: Are there any built in or recommended ways to interact with Handango or PocketGear licensing schemes? These are two Pocket PC software distributor sites.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways you can use third party distributors.

1. Provide them with pregenerated lists of license keys that they provide to customers. The advantage of this is that you retain control over the key generator. The disadvantage is that you can't incorporate customer or point of sale information into the license keys.

2. If the distributor supports custom key generators and also supports .NET on their server then you can easily write a key generator using the EncryptedLicenseProvider.GenerateKey method. This allows you to incorporate customer or point of sale information.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your continued responses. I am ready to review documentation for the Licensing System, but have been unable to find documentation that does not involve installation using an MSI file on my computer. Do you have either PDF or zip files available that will inform me about the product? I am very hesitant to execute an MSI file to install anything potentially "temporary" on my development computer.

Additionally, as far as I can tell from the features and discussion, this system works by using a public key/private key where the private key is kept by the developer (and more specifically in the EncryptedLicenseProvider.GenerateKey method) and the public key is distributed within the program. Do I have the gist of it?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really don't want to install the msi then we could email you the raw html help files. These don't include the contents, index or search facilities you get with the normal installed help documentation (which integrates with Visual Studio help) so they are hard to navigate - but they would give you more information. Email us at support@infralution.com if you would like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: