Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the same license key for new upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Using the same license key for new upgrades Reply with quote

The common practice is to issue a new license key for each new version of the software. I have done this for years. I was wondering if it's possible to re-use the same license key instead.

The reason I'm asking is because when you install an upgrade, at some point you have two versions installed in your computer, the old and the new versions. Then the user should remove the old one, but he still has two license keys that sometimes create confusion and support calls.

What about if your installer removes automatically the old version while it installs the new one, and in addition the user doesn't need to authenticate a new license key again? Somehow the existing license key would need to be modified behind the scenes to approve the new version. It sounds like a problematic idea from the developer side, but a nice feature from the customer side. I don't even know if it's possible, but I just wanted to throw the idea.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite possible to use the same license key when upgrading. To do this you need to include information about the licensed version in the AuthenticationData (eg V1 for version 1 and V2 for version 2). Then your code needs to check the authentication data to ensure that the installed license supports the current version. When the customer purchases and upgrade then all you need to do is to update the AuthenticationData for their license.

This scheme does have disadvantages as it is difficult to automate the update process (and IPN.NET doesn't support automating it). It also does not give you an opportunity to make use of new licensing features that may have been released because both old and new versions are using the same keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: