Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different product versions, same licensing implementation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Different product versions, same licensing implementation Reply with quote

I am about to release a new product to market, WPF based, initially for consumption in the local UK market with a view to future deployment in the rest of Europe. The product will be supplied in Standard, Professional and Enterprise versions. It is my intention to use authenticated licencing, and I have the latest version of Infralution Installed.

What would be the most efficient way to implement this requirement, ideally so that the product (all variants) would use the same licencing implementation and that this would also work with IPN (which I've still tio implement) but also with third party providers like Digital River or Avangate. The latter two may be vital in so far as new European Laws in relation to VAT are not currently handled that way by PayPal. Whilst that may change (which I'm hoping it will prior to my own European rollout) I need to allow for the fact that it may not.

Finally it must be possible to extract the license variant (standard, Professional or Enterprise) at runtime.

I believe that the license variant is already relatively easy to implement, however I'm not so sure about the integration with other third party providers. I would like to try and have a single license implementation across the product that simply allows people to upgrade a version level as and when they wish.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can include information about the license type (Standard, Pro etc) in either the ProductInfo or the AuthenticationData for the license. The difference is that if you include the information in the ProductInfo it is encrypted into the actual key issued and you cannot change it later. Because it is encrypted into the key you also want to keep it short (eg S, P or E) so that you don't make the key longer. The only real advantage of using ProductInfo is that when you generate the key the authentication server does not need to be updated with the data (if you are using a remote authentication server/database). This can make pre-generating large numbers of keys somewhat quicker. If you use AuthenticationData then there is no real limit on the size of the data - and the data is then included (and signed) as part of the license file.

In both cases you can extract the data from the License object via the ProductInfo or AuthenticationData property and update your application functionality at runtime accordingly.

For third party providers like Digital River the simplest solution is to pre-generate license keys and then provide them with a list of keys that they will automatically dish out to customers when the purchase. You can also write a key generator using our Infralution.Licensing.Data API that you can provide to third party providers or use to write your own web based generator - but personally I prefer not to give out the key generation code to third parties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: