Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AuthenticationService.asmx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sputnik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: AuthenticationService.asmx Reply with quote

Something's changed and I'm not sure what.
I have my company's web site at the root (which is a web application), and it has a web.config.

Then, I have the Authenticate folder, with the AuthenticationService.asmx, and its web.config.

However, when I try to run the asmx directly, it's throwing an error now on the <pages> line - I have a theme set in that tag. (<pages>)

If I take out the theme attribute, it runs fine, but my website is screwed up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give full details of the error message?

Is the Authenticate folder set up as an ASP.NET application root (or virtual directory)?
Sputnik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked, and it show to be set to an application/virtual directory.

asp.net error:
An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

or course it's hosted by a hosting company so I can't do that

the root site is also a virtual directory, and it works. This is a sub directory. I'm assuming I can still set it as a virtual directory?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to add a customErrors element to your web.config (for the authentication server) and set the mode to off:

Code:
<configuration>
     <system.web>
         <customErrors mode="Off"/>
     </system.web> </configuration>

This should let you see the underlying error. The following link has more details:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5890207/server-error-in-application-asp-net

Note that I think CustomErrors is off by default. So that in your case it may be inheriting values from the Web.Config in your root directory.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Custom Errors is set to "Off"
2. It is set to 'Application Root' although the folder is UNDER my main website, which is also set to Application Root.
3. Again - The error listed points to the web.config in the root (my main website) - the line listed is the 'Pages' section which lays out a theme. I take out the 'theme' attribute and the ASMX works, but my website falls apart.
4. It ran for a long time and worked well.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - the problem appears to be because the Web.Config in your authentication directory is inheriting properties from your root Web.Config. Perhaps you had previously changed the Authentication Web.Config to overcome this?

The following article provides some guidance on how to avoid accidently inheriting settings.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jongalloway/10-things-asp-net-developers-should-know-about-web-config-inheritance-and-overrides

In particular you could either add a <pages> element to the Authentication Web.Config with <clear/> tag inside to remove the settings or you could modify your root Web.Config and add a inheritInChildApplication = false attribute to the pages element.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record, those suggestions didn't work, but it lead me to try something that finally did work

I just created a pages section and set theme=""
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: