Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILS License in license generator web app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradBeech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: ILS License in license generator web app Reply with quote

Hi

I have an owing hosted web api, that I am using to generate keys via prod.CreateLicenseKey().

I resolved the exception about only being able to use "TEST" as a password through using a web action to register the ILS product key on the server as described in your help via LicenseUtilities.InstallILSLicense().

The license file is successfuly created in the App_Data, and everything works.

The question is now, how does one handle this license file with multiple devs, on different machines, and source control?

If I omit the file from source control I would have to call the install method when I clone a new repo, or clean it (since it will be untraced). If I check it in the the next Dev that pulls the latest changes will have an invalid license no?

What do you recommend?

Also the generated file has a <ComputerID> tag in it, I ws expecting to see a domain or ul of some sorts since it is a hosted app?

Thanks
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install the ILS license for a web application (using the LicenseUtilities.InstallILSLicense method) then the ComputerID element in the installed license file should contain the domain name from the URL used to access the web application. For this reason it is important to install the license via the same URL that will be used by clients to access the web application. This license file will then only work for that particular server domain. If you have multiple domains that you wish to run the web application on then you would need to purchase multiple license keys - one for each domain. In this case you would not want the license file included in the source control.
BradBeech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many ILS Licenses will I consume for 2 developers, each running License Tracker, and each also debugging the web service that generates keys?

2 Devs x 2 apps (ILS & Our Web service) = 4 licenses
Then add a production license So total 5 licenses?

Or would the ILS license on the dev machiines only count one activation per dev machine?

My ILS6.Lic file looks like this:
AuthenticatedLicense>
<ProductName>ILS 6</ProductName>
<EncryptedLicenseKey>x-x-x-x</EncryptedLicenseKey>
<ComputerID>C4BV5R1</ComputerID>
<FirstAuthenticationDate>2015-02-17 07:28:51Z</FirstAuthenticationDate>
<LastAuthenticationDate>2015-06-13 17:50:52Z</LastAuthenticationDate>
<AuthenticationCount>11</AuthenticationCount>

So with a Activation Count of 11 I assume it is the same 'license' as License tracker since I have only done LicenseUtilities.InstallILSLicense() once (the other 10 activations come from me tinkering with License tracker or something else)
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AuthenticationCount in the license file is incremented each time the software installs or checks the license (in the background). This enables ILS to detect if a single license being used on multiple computers (Clone Detection) by checking that the count is always incrementing in sequence.

If you run your web service under IIS Express on your local machine then there is no domain name and the name of your actual computer is used in the license. This means that you can just copy your License Tracker license file from C:\ProgramData\Infralution\Licenses to the AppData directory of your web application and it should work OK. Since your web application won't do a background check on the license this shouldn't cause a problem with clone detection invalidating your license.

So would need 3 license keys one for each developer and one for your production web service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: