Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing the floating license service
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Installing the floating license service Reply with quote

I have been struggling with my installer to get the service installation done. For some reason the service gets installed, it appears listed in the Services manager, but the status is blank, instead of Started. I checked the Event Viewer and it says that the service cannot be started because the .config file was not found in the project folder C:\Program Files\etc.

I checked this project folder and the file is not there. Is this .config file supposed to be there? Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need to distribute and install the .config file (SampleLicenseService.exe.config by default) in the same directory as the service exe.
Javier

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a client who is getting the following error message while trying to install the license service. I'm able to install the service in my own computer, so I don't know what to check. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FoundationLicenseService.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5539b4c4
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17415
Fault Module Timestamp: 54505737
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 0000000000008b9c
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.144.8
Locale ID: 1033

This is being installed on a Windows Server 2012 R2 service
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sort of hard crashes normally indicate some sort of problem in unmanaged code or DLL dependencies. Since the License Server is fully managed code the most likely problem is that the .NET Framework you are using is not installed on the users system or is corrupted in some way.

The first thing to do is to check that they have the required version of the .NET Framework (that you have compiled against) installed on their machine. Normally you would make your installer check for this and install the required Framework.

See the thread below on stack overflow on a similar error:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6498703/kernelbase-dll-error-running-c-sharp-app-on-windows-server-2008-r2
Javier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the VS2008 sample license service, which is compiled for .NET Framework 2.0. Is it possible that the Windows Server 2012 R2, which my client is installing on, doesn't support this old version of the Framework?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Server 2012 does not come with .NET 2.0/3/3.5 installed by default. You need to install .NET 3.5 (which includes 2.0). Apparently there are some issues installing this on Server 2012. See:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/09/29/attempting-to-install-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-server-2012-r2-fails-with-error-code-0x800f0906-or-the-source-files-could-not-be-downloaded-even-when-supplying-source.aspx
Javier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The client's computer has .NET Framework 3.5 installed, and it's enabled in the Features pane. The log in the Event Viewer shows the same error message, but it doesn't say what the problem is. I have checked in Google and the kernellbase errors are frequent, but I don't know how to proceed. Please advise.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't give you a lot of assistance. I think the problem is not really with the sample code but something related to the users installation of .NET. I would try compiling a simple "hello world" application using the same .NET framework and compiler settings and see whether this will run on their system.
Javier

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the problem is not really with the sample code.

This indicates at least one problem in the code: the inability to catch and handle this exception and avoid the crash. Even in the presence of external problems the program should be able to catch any exceptions, produce some diagnostic output, and exit gracefully. Can you suggest some sort of error handling code for this scenario? Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the error occurs before the .NET Framework and the managed application have actually loaded then it is not possible for the application to catch the exception. This is typically the case for this type of error. If an exception occurs after the .NET Framework is loaded you see a different error dialog which includes more information including the stack trace.
Javier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The License Service was successfully installed and the status is "Running". However, when my application tries to connect to the server and get the license the following error shows up: "Error: Return argument has an invalid type". Please advise.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of error usually means that you have recompiled the server application after compiling the client application. You need to be careful to always build the server and the client together (obviously with the server first).
Javier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You need to be careful to always build the server and the client together

I'm a little confused about this. How can I build both independent applications together? I built the license service and it was installed in the server. Then I built my application and it was installed in one of the computers of the network. The error message showed up. What did I do wrong in this procedure?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you recompile the server application then you must recompile client afterward. You can do this by having both in the same solution (as the sample Floating License Application sample solution does). If you compile the server application and don't recompile the client then you will see that sort of error. I would just double check by recompiling the server and then compiling the client application. Make sure that the server executable you are distributing is the one that you actually compiled against. For instance if you compiled the Release version of the client you would need to be using the Release version of the Server.
Javier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the issue has to do with the NET Encryptor bootstrap. The license service doesn't use it, but my application does. Since the application includes the project of the license service (as the sample does), should I include the license service project in the bootstrap as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: