Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

License uninstall problem on upgrade installs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: License uninstall problem on upgrade installs Reply with quote

This isn't strictly an infralution issue but perhaps you have run into this before.

I have modified my msi installer to include a license uninstall dialog during uninstalls.

However, upgrade installs invoke an uninstall as the first part of install of the new version.

As far as I know, the uninstaller has no way of knowing when it is invoked as part of an upgrade install. Users will see the license uninstall dialog during an upgrade install, and we have a lot of easily confused users. Some of them will uninstall the license and then won't have a clue why their upgraded software won't run. Do you know a fix for this?
Dom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that this would be a good case to use a custom action in your installer. The action would be used to determine whether the installer has been launched to 'install' or 'uninstall' and if the latter show your custom dialog.

In the case of upgrades that 'uninstall' the old version first you may need to add a little extra logic to the custom action but essentially it should not be too difficult to get the desired result.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to only run the custom action when uninstalling by setting the custom action condition correctly. We do this for our own products - the following is what we use for our WIX installer:

Code:
   <CustomAction Id="UninstallLicense"
            BinaryKey="LicenseUninstaller"
            DllEntry="UninstallLicense"
            Execute="immediate"
            Return="check" />
    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="UninstallLicense" Before="RemoveFiles">Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE AND (REMOVE="ALL")</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

The FAQ http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2573 has more information.

If you are using a different installer to WIX then you will need to find out how to set conditions on custom actions.
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the condition

Installed AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE AND (REMOVE="ALL")

and this might be working - needs more testing. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: