Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to move software to new computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: How to move software to new computer Reply with quote

We are trying to write the user manual for our software and are confused by the license key dialog with the 3 buttons at the bottom. How would the user ever be able to get to the "Save License" or "Uninstall License" buttons if the software license is already authenticated? The dialog doesn't come up again.

Most important, it is not clear how the end user would move the software to a new computer. Not really covered in the infralution help as far as I can tell.

Our product is set as MaxAuthentications = 1, and MaxDeauthentications = 2. The defaults.

I don't really know the exact definitions for these settings, and what they actually do. We need to be able to allow the licensed user to uninstall the software on one computer and move it to another one. This scenario happens occasionally when the user buys a faster computer and wants to move the application over. What is the step by step procedure to make this happen? Can it be done without contacting the license server, etc.? How many times can they move the software given the product authentication settings above? Please explain like I'm five :+>
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would the user ever be able to get to the "Save License" or "Uninstall License" buttons if the software license is already authenticated? The dialog doesn't come up again.

You would normally provide a menu or button in your application that allows the user do display the License Install dialog at any time. In the sample application there is an "Install License" button that does this.

Quote:
Most important, it is not clear how the end user would move the software to a new computer. Not really covered in the infralution help as far as I can tell.

To move a license the user needs to uninstall the license off the original computer. They can do this using the License Install dialog. This deauthenticates the license allowing it to be installed on another computer. Alternatively you can also provide an option to automatically deauthenticate the license in your installer when your software is uninstalled. The following FAQ provides detail on how to do this:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2573

Quote:
I don't really know the exact definitions for these settings, and what they actually do

MaxAuthentications is the maximum number of active authentications that a given license key can have. If you only want the license to be active on one computer at any time then you set this to 1.

MaxDeauthentications is the maximum number of computers that can be deactivated by the user (to allow a license to be transferred to another). It is effectively the limit on the number of times the license can be transferred by the user to another computer. With it set to 2 the user can move the license themselves twice. After this they would have to contact you to if they wished to move the license. You would deauthenticate the license for them (from License Tracker) and could change the limit for their license if you wanted.

The reason for the MaxDeauthentications limit is that allowing the user to transfer licenses themselves (while convenient) does open the possibility of users duplicating licenses by installing a license and saving the machine state and then transferring the license and restoring the original licenced machine state. The background authentication check does prevent this by checking that the installed license is still authenticated on a machine. However if the computer is offline then this can't contact the server to verify the authentication. The MaxDeauthentications limit allows you to limit this mechanism being abused.
PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for detailed answer. I understand the system almost completely now.

I tried the same key on another computer and it won't authenticate, pops up a dialog that says it's already in use on another computer. The correct behavior. But does the license authentication depend solely on the computer name? I haven't tested this yet. What if another computer has a duplicate name, will the license authenticate?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes by default the authentication is just linked to the computer name. See the following FAQ for more information:

How is Authentication different to other Activation schemes?
Can I lock licenses to Hard Disk ID or MAC address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: