Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subscription Model Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopdahl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Subscription Model Question Reply with quote

Hi:

I've read through most of the documentation and I think that I understand most of the functionality of IPN.NET and License Tracker.

What is unclear to me is what happens when a subscription transaction event comes through after the initial purchase (using the Authentication method). For example, on the second month of a monthly subscription, PayPal will process and send a notification to IPN.NET which then updates the user's license key with a new 'end date'.

My question is, does the end user need to reapply this new key? Does IPN.NET send him a second email with this new key? Or is this all handled behind the scenes without requiring any additional end-user action?

Also, what would be the standard procedure for authenticating a subscription product? The sample code that I've seen appears to check for the existence of the license file before attempting to authenticate. Do most products make some sort of authentication call each day? Or each time the application is run? This whole part is a little fuzzy to me.

Thanks,
Dave
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question is, does the end user need to reapply this new key? Does IPN.NET send him a second email with this new key? Or is this all handled behind the scenes without requiring any additional end-user action?

There is no new key - the existing key expiry date is just updated. When the GetLicense method reads the license file it checks the expiry date. If this has expired then it will (by default) attempted to reauthenticate the license and so will download the new license with the changed expiry date. If for some reason the user does not currently have internet access and so reauthentication fails then the user would need to fix this and reenter the license key.

Quote:
Do most products make some sort of authentication call each day? Or each time the application is run? This whole part is a little fuzzy to me

The sample applications are designed so that they can be run offline without requiring an internet connection. They use the StartBackgroundAuthenticationCheck to check the authentication is still valid in a background thread. This allows your application to still start quickly but checks the authentication has not been revoked once each time the application is run. You could of course decide that you wish to check the online authentication each time before allowing the application to run - but this would slow down your application start.
dopdahl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... that clarifies a lot.

Thanks for the quick response.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: