Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade V1? to 4.7 on a new server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlaverick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Upgrade V1? to 4.7 on a new server Reply with quote

I am starting the process of upgrading one of our clients to a new server for their authorizations, I will have limited access to the current server. I have one shot to get access to the server and get the data I need from it and 2 laptops.
The former principal of the company hosted the authentication server in his house on his personal server, he has since passed away. The new server is going to be located in the new office space. I know nothing about the existing server e.g current version or if the original install files are available, the remaining partners in the company purchased the new version of ILS 4.7 a few weeks ago.

So, I have a few questions.
    1. What are my migration steps for this? can I go from 1 to 4.7 or do I have to do it in series? e.g. 1 to 2 to 3 then to 4.7.
    2. What and where are the files I need to make sure I get.

New server config.
    1. Windows server 2008 R2 foundation
    2. AD DS is installed to perform multiple roles within the company
    3. File server - print service roles installed.
    4. Remote access roles installed for reps that are on the road.
    5. IIS 7 with managment for 6 installed.
    6. 2008 R2 SQL Express installed.

I am assuming I will be upgrading from an Access DB to the SQL server. What steps are needed there?

As for their existing customers.
The XML file is pointing them to an IP address that will no longer be valid How can I direct them to change the existing customer base?

My recomendationg to them was to have the hosting company of their website make a DNS entry for http://auth.<Company>.com to point to the new static IP address at the company, in the event of a future move or an ISP change, so that from the new implimentation onward it will make life a little easier on everyone.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Tom
tlaverick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the current AuthenticationServerSettings.xml content. Thought it might help.

Code:

Deleted
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the principal had an authentication server then they must have been using least Version 4 of ILS. Version 3 and earlier did not support authenticated licensing.

If you purchased another copy of ILS a few weeks ago then I expect that you would have received Version 5 not Version 4 - since version 5 was released in Nov 2011. So I think the question is probably about upgrading from Version 4 to Version 5?

The most important thing is to obtain a copy of the License Tracker database from the old machine. See the following FAQ for the location of the database:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3120#3120

If the original ILS software and authentication server is still running then you should first (before copying the database) download any new authentication data from the Authentication Server using the License Tracker Authentication->Import Data from Server menu. This will ensure that the License Tracker database contains the most up to date information.

Copy the license database to your new machine and then install Version 5 of ILS. Ensure that you configure the license tracker database to point at the database you copied. I would first just get the software running using the Access database. You can run the License Tracker Database Configuration tool again to convert to use SQL Server later if you want. When you open license tracker you should then see the existing product, customer and license data.

Upload and configure the Version 5 Authentication Server binaries from your local development machine to your web host as described in the help section Deploying and Configuring the Authentication Server. (don't copy the old Version 4 authentication server binaries or database).

Once the authentication server is installed use the License Tracker Authentication->Configure Server menu and check the Upload Authentication Data option

If you are hosting your own website then you can configure the Authentication Server to connect directly to the License Tracker database (you should configure License Tracker to use the SQL Server database if you want to do this).

I removed the Authentication Settings you posted previously because posting these in a public forum is probably not a great idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: