Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Column header context menu: Auto fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Column header context menu: Auto fit Reply with quote

In addition to the existing "Best fit" and "Auto fit (no scroll)" menu items, it would be nice with "Auto fit" and "Auto fit all" items, toggling selected or all columns between ColumnAutoSizePolicy.Manual and ColumnAutoSizePolicy.AutoSize. Checkmarks can display the state of ContextMenuColumn and the current "Auto fit all" setting. Maybe the menuitems could even have radiocheck-submenus to switch between any ColumnAutoSizePolicy...

I have currently implemented this myself, by modifying the HeaderContextMenu, but it's a bit messy since I only want to add items, not change existing items.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why you may want this but am concerned that it may be confusing for the end user with presenting so many options relating to sizing. We could maybe add an extra menu entry called "Width Policy" with sub menu radio buttons "Manual", "Auto Increase" and "Auto Size".

We are open to suggestions for naming that is least confusing to the end user. We could change the names of existing menu items if that would clarify things.
MHB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's getting a bit complicated... Perhaps the "best fit" options could be dropped? I mean, the one-column "best fit" can now be obtained by the standardized column divider double click. And if the user really wants "best fit all"-behaviour, he could activate and deactivate "auto fit all". But I myself have never really used the "best fit" options, since I'd rather have "auto fit" Smile

Perhaps the "auto fit no scroll" could be integrated as an option under "auto fit all"/"width policy"? That way, there would only be two menu items, affecting one column or all columns.

Regarding better naming suggestions, I don't really have any. Though I must say that I found the names a bit unintuitive in the beginning... I'll try and talk to a few users and see if they have any suggestions. I think the names should be as simple as possible. Perhaps just "Width" and "Width (all columns)" for the submenus? Ok, I'll give it a shot anyway:
    Width ->

Manual
      Auto fit
      Auto increase

Width (all columns) ->

Manual
      Auto fit
      Auto increase
      Auto (avoid scrolling)

Just an idea: To make it more clear to new users what the column context menu is all about, you could put a header on it, saying something like "Column: [column.caption]". Then again, maybe I'm just imagining things now Wink This could potentially also force the menu wider than what looks good.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting suggestions. I'd like to keep the current Best Fit options (although they could be renamed) because they useful when you just want fix the widths to display the current data without changing the behaviour of the tree when you then scroll.

I'm also not sure you need the ability to set the AutoSizePolicy for all columns. The AutoSizePolicy can have some unexepected interactions when used with the AutoFit option (which is partially why we haven't exposed it to the user).

I'd be interested in end user feedback on naming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: