Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two License Trackers With One Authentification Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Dukes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Two License Trackers With One Authentification Server? Reply with quote

I've written two applications, one for each of my sons who live in different states and work in un-related industries. They each would like sell the application that pertains to them. Assuming I buy two of your license product, is there any problem with each son having a license tracking program in his office tracking just his pertinet application and one authentication server on an server authenticating both? I know I can define multiple products that a single server can authenticate, but I'm not sure the tracking portion can be split in this manner.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work provided they didn't use the same product names - since the Authentication Server just uses the entries in the AuthenticationServerSettings.xml file. You would have configure the AuthenticationServerSettings.xml file from both License Trackers to have products from both databases included.

Practically however it would be much simpler and better I think simply to run two instances of the authentication server. This can be done on the same web host if you want - just at different application root directories eg
"www.mycompany.com\authenticateSon1" and "www.mycompany.com\authenticateSon2"
Bob Dukes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I do what you suggested. Initially I'll be setting up the licensing for each of them for each of them on my development machine. I plan to move the authentification servers to a GoDaddy web site once the my testing is complete and then move each each son's license tracking application to a computer at his office. What's the best way for me to deploy the license tracking apps so I don't violate the two licenses I buy? Could you also give me a recommendation for the best way me to make changes (new product versions,etc.) for one or both sons? I have a feeling that might entail my purchasing a 3rd license (which is not a problem) to have a license tracker running on my develop machine, but would like to get your thoughts.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be doing ongoing work using ILS (while your sons are both also using License Tracker) then you will need to purchase a 3rd license.

During development of a new product or version you could create the Product in your own License Tracker database. One you have everything working you can export the License Parameters and then create the product in your sons database and import the license parameters. This would require either getting remote access to your sons database (via a VPN or a Remote Desktop Connection) or getting them to send you the database (and not making any changes until you send it back).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: