Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about trial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmantri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Questions about trial Reply with quote

Hi,

I downloaded the licensing product yesterday and start using it. So far I am finding it extremely easy to understand and use. However I have some questions:

1. When I use License Key Generator application to generate license keys (say I am generating 2 keys), it generates different keys but they don't get stored in the database. However when I use the License Tracker application to generate license keys, it always generate same license keys. Is this an evaluation thing?

2. I found the License Tracker extremely slow. I believe it is talking to the database as I switch between the tabs to get the information. My database is SQL Server 2008 and is running locally on my computer. What could be the reason for that?

As I explore this product more, I am sure I will have a lot of questions. Are there any threads on this forum dedicated just for starters like me so that I don't end up asking same questions which have been asked before and save everybody some time.

Thanks again

Gaurav Mantri
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. When I use License Key Generator application to generate license keys (say I am generating 2 keys), it generates different keys but they don't get stored in the database. However when I use the License Tracker application to generate license keys, it always generate same license keys. Is this an evaluation thing?

Yes the evaluation version is limited to generating license keys with only two serial nos (0 or 1). The License Tracker in evaluation mode only generates using a single serial no.

Quote:
2. I found the License Tracker extremely slow. I believe it is talking to the database as I switch between the tabs to get the information. My database is SQL Server 2008 and is running locally on my computer. What could be the reason for that?

If you turn of the "Maintain Selection on Sort" option (under the Options menu) this can speed things up for SQL Server. How slow is slow? What type of machine and OS are you running on? If you install an Access database instead (by running the License Tracker installation wizard) does it run more quickly?

We do testing on a 5 year old machine with 1 Gb of memory and it runs without annoying delays - so if you've got a reasonable recent machine you shouldn't be experience major performance issues.
gmantri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you turn of the "Maintain Selection on Sort" option (under the Options menu) this can speed things up for SQL Server. How slow is slow? What type of machine and OS are you running on? If you install an Access database instead (by running the License Tracker installation wizard) does it run more quickly?

"Maintain Selection on Sort" option is currently turned off. I am running a laptop with 4GB (3GB Usable) RAM on Windows 7 Ultimate. It takes about 10 - 15 seconds to switch between tabs. I used "Windows Authentication" when connecting to the database. Could that be the problem? I think right now this is fine as I am evaluating it however in the long run it might be a problem when I have too many licenses and the database server is remote.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It takes about 10 - 15 seconds to switch between tabs

That is WAY too long. It should take less than a second (even on a 5 year old machine with lots of data). I am assuming that you don't have very much data?

Try installing the access database (you will get an option to convert any existing data). That should tell us whether the problem is your SQL database configuration or something else.
billb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I just began evaluating yesterday and I'm experiencing the exact same behavior with what seems like a very similar configuration (Win 7 x64, 4GB of RAM). Not a deal killer, but seemed strange. I only have 1 product but even with 0 products, it behaved this way.

Infralution wrote:
Quote:
It takes about 10 - 15 seconds to switch between tabs

That is WAY too long. It should take less than a second (even on a 5 year old machine with lots of data). I am assuming that you don't have very much data?

Try installing the access database (you will get an option to convert any existing data). That should tell us whether the problem is your SQL database configuration or something else.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you using an SQL database also or the Access backend? If you switch to Access does the performance improve? We will setup a test machine with this configuration and do some of our own testing.
billb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Were you using an SQL database also or the Access backend? If you switch to Access does the performance improve? We will setup a test machine with this configuration and do some of our own testing.

SQL Server 2008 database. I don't have Access readily available at this time.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have Access installed to use the Access database. Just run the License Tracker Installer Wizard and select the Access option.
tomazv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also evaluating the product and have the same problem.

Configuration: Vista x64, 4GB RAM, SQL 2008 SP1 Express edition

I switched to Access, and it works fine.

However, when I try to switch back to SQL database using License Tracker Configuration Wizard, I get an error (SQL Server does not exist or access denied). If I use SQL Server Management Studio, I can connect to the server.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you setting as the SQL Server name? For SQL Express the server name should probably be ".\SQLEXPRESS". If you want to copy the data from you Access database into the SQL Server database you will have to specify an empty or new database (by setting the Database Name to a database that doesn't exist yet).
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loaded up a test machine with a similar configuration as reported by billb and gmantri:

Win 7 x64, 4Gb RAM, SQL Express 2008 with SP1 installed

Unfortunately I was unable to replicate any performance issues. Switching tabs was almost instantaneous with the "Maintain Selection on Sort" option turned off. With it turned on it still only takes a second or two even with a large database. I also tried SQL Express 2005 without any issues.

Are you running SQL Server running on the local machine or connecting to a remote instance?

What are you setting the "SQL Server" entry to in the Wizard?

It should be ".\SQLEXPRESS" if you are running a local instance of SQL Express.
tomazv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried using different authentication modes (windows, sql) and server names (., localhost, 127.0.0.1) but it didn't help. When I restared my machine, I was able to change configuration from Access back to SQL, but the application was still very slow when switching tabs.

But then I enabled TCP/IP protocol on the server side using Sql Server Configuration Manager and it worked!

So I guess SQL Server needs to have TCP/IP protocol enabled (it is disabled by default). Now I am also able to change configuration to SQL through the Configuration Wizard without any problems.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems strange since on my machine TCP/IP is also marked as disabled in the configuration manager - but I'm not seeing any performance issues.

Anyway good that you've got it working - I'm wondering if this will help the others who have had a similar issue?
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: SQL Server 2008 Performance Reply with quote

Also found this forum post which seems to reflect something similar:

http://okdw.com/Community/forums/p/28118/162160.aspx#162160

Scroll down to the last post in the thread.
tomazv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an issue for me anymore, but maybe this will help your other users.

Today I also downloaded and install license tracker on my work machine (Win7 x64) and the same thing happend. Also, the solution was the same.

Maybe it's because I have SQL Express installed under the default instance name (MSSQLSERVER). So when I connect to the server, I use "." and not ".\SQLEXPRESS". It shouldn't matter, but it's the only thing I can think of that both machines have in common.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: