Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Database Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markdart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Database Upgrade Reply with quote

A Couple Questions:

1. I installed the latest version of ILS. It installed ok and told me it updated my database from 3.3.2.0. However, when I try to run License Tracker it tells me that I need to upgrade the database. The app process and splash process continue to run with no UI (only the splash displayed). I tried manually upgrading the database but with the same result. Oh, I am running it on Vista.

2. Is there an upgrade from 3.3.2.0 or do I need to buy another license?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you actually ticked the option to upgrade your database when the wizard was run? Try running the Configure License Tracker Database wizard again (from the Windows Start menus).
markdart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried running it several times as you suggested with the same result. It tells me the conversion was successful and I see conversion process statements that show different database objects being converted but when I run License Tracker I get the previously mentioned symptoms.
markdart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, do I need to purchase a different license for the latest version?

Thanks for great support!
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the database conversion complete without any errors?
What is the exact message you are getting when running License Tracker?

Yes the upgrade from Version 3 to Version 4 is a paid upgrade. But you should still be able to run the evaluation version of Version 4. There are some major new features in Version 4 (see the release notes on the downloads page). You can get upgrade pricing at:

www.infralution.com/licensingpurchase.html
markdart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The messages during the upgrade are about upgrading the schema and the the database upgrade is finished. When I run License Tracker I get a message that tells me "The license database appears to be for a different version of License Tracker. You should run the License Tracker Configuration Wizard to install or upgrade your database." ...but I previously did run it and the original mdb file size is different (larger) and the time/date stamp is current. After this message the process just stops and I have to use task manager to stop the License Tracker and Splash processes.

Is the License Tracker source in managed VB or c#?

Thanks Grant...
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everytime you run the wizard it thinks the database needs upgrading, and then upgrades it?

The original mdb is larger than the upgraded mdb?

It sounds like the database changes are not getting written for some reason - perhaps operating system privileges.

What operating system are you using? Have you changed operating system since you had Version 3.3.2 and running?

Try changing the location of the database, when you run the wizard to a folder where you know that you have write privileges (eg under your MyDocuments folder). You should then be given the option to copy the data.

The splash screen remaining running after the database open error is a bug which we will fix in the next release.

License Tracker source code is in C#.
markdart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everytime you run the wizard it thinks the database needs upgrading, and then upgrades it?

Actually, the first time I run it I get all the upgrade messages I previously mentioned. The second time I run it, it tells me only upgrade install complete.

The original mdb is larger than the upgraded mdb?

No - visa versa

It sounds like the database changes are not getting written for some reason - perhaps operating system privileges.

The database file is located in Program Files from the install. I just copied my original into program files. Vista asked me for permission to run the the database converter like Vista always does to elevate permission...maybe not running as administrator though (??).

What operating system are you using? Have you changed operating system since you had Version 3.3.2 and running?

Vista.

Yes, I had xp pro now I have vista...

Try changing the location of the database, when you run the wizard to a folder where you know that you have write privileges (eg under your MyDocuments folder). You should then be given the option to copy the data.

ok, I copied to original file to a directory I always write in.
I converted the file
It would not run
I converted the file a second time and now it runs in License Tracker
so...problem fixed

many thanks!
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I see what was happening. It is related to the fact that Version 3.2 wasn't Vista aware. Vista restricts write access to the Program Files directories. If an application does attempt to write to files under this directory without elevated privileges then Vista copies the file to a virtualized location and redirects all writes there (see this link for more detail)

This can cause all sorts of strange behaviour (like you've experienced) and in my opinion the cure is worse than the disease. If it just told you that you didn't have permission to write to the file you could fix the permissions.
markdart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update on this...

You can go into the "compatibility view" and paste the mdb file from program files to the "virtual" directory to get around this issue. However, you cannot change permissions for the mdb file in program files or even the infralution directories in program files. I tried with UAC on and off and no luck. It thinks the permissions are from you guys (CREATOR/OWNER) and there is no way Microsoft will let you change it. So, in the future if others see this issue they can convert the mdb file elsewhere (where they have write permission) and copy it to the virtual, compatibility directory.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark - that is correct. ILS Version 3.4.4 and earlier was not Vista/Windows 7 compliant and by default stored the database under the C:\Program Files\Infralution\Infralution Licensing System\LicenseTracker directory. Even if you later upgraded to version 3.5 (or greater) this would not change the location of the database if it already existed.

If you upgraded your operating system to Vista or Windows7 then the OS prevents user access to the Program Files directory. To allow older applications to still run it make a virtual (user specific) copy of any files in this directory that the application writes to (in this case the database). You can see this virtual file by browsing to the C:\Program Files\Infralution\Infralution Licensing System\LicenseTracker directory and then clicking the "Compatibility View".

If you have this situation then it is best to copy the license.mdb file from the compatibility view to a folder where you do have write permissions. Then run the version 4 database upgrade wizard and specify the copied database file. I would not try to copy the data back to the program files directory as it really doesn't belong there in Windows 7 /Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: