Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Licenses in multiple currencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FUB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Selling Licenses in multiple currencies Reply with quote

How (if possible) can I set the same product to accept sales in different currencies?

I have a product that sells in the UK, the licensing and IPN is set up to accept GBP (<Currency>GBP</Currency> )
But we now want to sell the software to the US market and accept sales in US dollars, do I have to set up a whole new product with new license parameters to do that, or can I use my existing product variant, and somehow tell it to accept USD for that variant?

Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently IPN only supports receiving payments in a single currency. It would be possible to setup separate instances of your IPN server to handle each currency. But this would mean having separate paypal accounts for each currency - to enable the IPN handler to be set appropriately.

This is certainly a feature we could look at supporting in a future version. Probably the simplest way of doing this would be to define a primary currency (which you define all your product prices in), then define secondary currencies with a fixed exchange rate you wish to use for that currency. That way you wouldn't have to set individual prices for every product in each supported currency.
FUB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, thanks for your response.

Can you clarify how to do this through the licence tracker software please.
I'm struggling to get my head round what needs to be done.

My primary currency is GBP, this is already set for the products. I have set up a product variant to attempt to track sales in an alternate currency (USD) the amount is set as the USD equivalent of our sale price, which will occasionally have the amount changed as the US/UK conversion rate changes.

How do I now set the secondary currencies with a fixed exchange rate?

Many Thanks
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I musn't have been very clear. This isn't supported in the current version (unless you setup two separate PayPal accounts with two separate IPN.NET handlers).

I was suggesting how we might go about adding this feature in a future release.
FUB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the calrification.

Two paypal accounts it is then.

Thanks for your help. Smile
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3 of IPN.NET and Version 5 of ILS are now released. They include the ability create Product Variants that use a different currency to the base product (and price). This enables a single IPN.NET server to handle mulitple currencies (although a single cart payment via PayPal must still be in a single currency).
CADbloke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may belong in the Licence tracker forum but here goes ....

Mucking with the IPN test tool I've managed to make sales in different currencies for the same product name work (yay me!)

1. When I leave the IPN Name & IPN Number fields blank in a new product variant they don't get the default value from the parent and the test payment fails. Adding the fields in manually works ok.

2. When they are imported into the Customers table there is no currency column. The amount is there but there is no indication of the currency. Not a deal breaker by any means.

cheers
Ewen
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requiring the IPN Name and Item Number to be set for each Product variant was a deliberate design decision to ensure that only products you have explicitly set these for can be sold through IPN.NET

The currency issue in License Tracker is a bit complicated - because License Tracker does reporting on sales which assumes that sales are in the same currency. It would be possible to add currency and provide reporting in difference currencies - but quite a bit of work. We will add this to our list of feature requests.
CADbloke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Requiring the IPN Name and Item Number to be set for each Product variant was a deliberate design decision to ensure that only products you have explicitly set these for can be sold through IPN.NET

Thanks for clarifying that, it's a good policy (it prevents any assumptions from returning untraceable outcomes).

Infralution wrote:
The currency issue in License Tracker is a bit complicated - because License Tracker does reporting on sales which assumes that sales are in the same currency. It would be possible to add currency and provide reporting in difference currencies - but quite a bit of work. We will add this to our list of feature requests.

Personally I would add it to the ignore list (I call it "Yeah but NO"). I look at my accounting system (I use Xero) for sales reports if I want that level of detail. It's not a primary use-case for licensing software, really.

Thanks for your response

cheers
Ewen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: