Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KeyDown event for left and right arrow keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnSummit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: KeyDown event for left and right arrow keys? Reply with quote

I don't get any notifications when pressing the left and right keys. I do get notifications for the up and down keys.

I have multiple top-level items without children. I would like to have the up/down keys select the top-level items/ The left/right keys should be sent to my form so i can act on the selected tree item.

I am handling the virtualTreeSearchResults_KeyDown event.
JohnSummit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: I do get the left/right arrow key events when no items exist in the tree. Once items are in the tree, the tree or form does not pass on the key down event.

I did try to do a this.KeyPreview = true; in the form constructor and handle the KeyDown event for the form but no event triggered. So it seems the form is to blame.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow and tab keys are special (because they are used for navigation between controls) and are not passed to the KeyDown event. To handle arrow keys for a control you have override the ProcessCmdKey method. Since Virtual Tree handles a number of special navigation keys like arrow keys it overrides this method. The overridden method in turn calls methods ProcessLeftCmdKey, ProcessRightCmdKey etc to handle the different keys.

If you want to handle the arrow keys differently you need to derive a new control from Virtual Tree and override the ProcessLeftCmdKey and ProcessRightCmdKey methods eg.

Code:
    class MyTree : VirtualTree
    {
        protected override bool ProcessLeftCmdKey(System.Windows.Forms.Keys modifiers)
        {           
            return base.ProcessLeftCmdKey(modifiers);
        }
    }

Note that if you want the default Virtual Tree behaviour (in addition to your own) you will need to call the base class method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: