Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtual Register Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaine Fields

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Virtual Register Problem Reply with quote

My app was designed for Windows XP but appears to install and run OK on Vista with a little diddling with the compatibility mode and admin permissions. It is clear, however, that the register writing that occurs when the app is first run is being directed to a virtual registry. When the app is uninstalled, it looks like the virtual registry entry is erased as well so if the app is re-installed a new trial period starts.

1. Is that your experience?

2. If so, how have you dealt with the problem?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't our experience. I've just tested some of our Apps under Vista, installing, uninstalling and reinstalling and the evaluation data is preserved. Vista virtualization is a fairly evil beast - but I'd be surprised if it was smart enough to link virtual registry entries written by a program (not the installer) to the installer that created the program and then remove the virtual entries when the installer is removed. Typically the virtual entries are associated with a user. Did you use the same user to install both times? Since non-power users don't have permissions to write outside their own sandbox there is nowhere to write the evaluation data that all users can access - so you may in this case be able to run the app as a different user as if there was no previous evaluation data.

One option is to add a manifest to your application with the requested execution level set to "requireAdministrator". This is a bit of a sledgehammer - but if your app was designed to run under XP with admin privileges then it may save you some pain getting it working under Vista.
Blaine Fields

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try the manifest idea. For those who need some guidance on how to include a manifest (like I did), this article will help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: