Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the difference between Base 32 and Hex Encoding ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emran834

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: What is the difference between Base 32 and Hex Encoding ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am wondering which encoding is much efficient and take less time to calculate ? How should I know which one is better for me ?

Emran
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote from the documentation:

Quote:
Text Encoding. This determines how the license key data is converted into text. Hex encoding means that only 16 characters (0123456789ABCDEF) are used to encode the data. The resultant license keys are always a multiple of 4 characters long. Base32 encoding means that 32 characters (23456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ) are used to encode the data. This results in slightly shorter keys (the shortest possible key using Base32 encoding is 26 characters versus 32 characters using Hex encoding). License keys generated using Base32 encoding are not always a multiple of 4 characters long.

It's a matter of opinion. Hex keys are slightly easier for a user to enter because the number of characters are restricted and they are multiples of 4 characters. However they will be slightly longer. If you have really long keys then base32 encoding is worth considering. Note that you have to decide this up front. You can't change this without changing the license parameters included in your application code and recompiling your application.
emran834

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so which encoding takes less time to compute ? I am concerned about Performance rather then the length of the Keys.

Another question. I embed DOMAIN name "URL" in the the License Key as product Info. Domain Names are purchased by my customer to allow my software within a licensed domain name. Now, when I add domain name, the Licnese Key gets too long. My question is,."Is long license key is less efficient ? " I think, CheckSum method is less performant as it will calculate CheckSum and calculation costs performance, aint I right ?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex will probably be marginally quicker to decode then Base32. Unless you are decoding hundreds of keys the difference is probably not worth considering.

The work required to compute a checksum would actually probably be slightly quicker then the work required to decrypt a longer key. Again I wouldn't base my decision on the relative speed unless you are decoding hundreds of keys at once - which would not be a normal scenario.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: