Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just give away keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: just give away keys? Reply with quote

Infralution creates a text file with a copy of the license key, and places it on the hard drive - it's not too hard to find. Can't someone just distribute this file to other users, and defeat the licensing? What am i missing?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you must have the license key in the first place to install it - you don't even need to go looking for it on the hard drive before distributing to others. You can only prevent this type of sharing of keys by locking license keys to the PC. However this tecnhique comes with its own share of problems (see Can I generate licenses which are locked to a specific PC?
)

If you are concerned about leaving the license key in its original form on the hard drive then you can override the ReadFromFile and WriteKeyToFile methods to encrypt the key or save it in an alternative location.
markc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat's the next step then in preventing this? Is it having the application query a license manager to see if the key has already been used? Do you offer this?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the next step then in preventing this? Is it having the application query a license manager to see if the key has already been used? Do you offer this?

This would require you to run a web service to authenticate license keys when they are installed. To prevent the customer simply copying the underlying authenticated license file to another machine you still need to lock the authenticated license to the machine in some way. Also because legitimate users may need to change the machine their software is installed on you cannot just limit the number of authentications to one (or your customers will not be very happy). But a scheme like this would allow you to track license key usage and prevent more blatant abuse.

We are working on something like the above in our next major release. This release is still probably a couple of months away.
rocco76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to implement a custom server based activation system to use with ILS right now, but after reading this post I'm thinking again and I'd like to know more about your implementation and the estimated release date to see if I can drop my project and upgrade to version 4. Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release date is not fixed in concrete yet but is likely to be about a month away now ie early July hopefully. The new version will include an Authentication Web Service that authenticates license keys and uses public key encryption to sign a license including both the key and the computer name. This will lock the license key to the computer name (by default) - but there is also the ability to modify this to lock the license to some other characteristic(s) of the computer it is running on.

You will be able to configure the Authentication server to set the maximum number of unique computers that a key can be authenticated on. You generally want to cut your legitimate customers some slack so that if they change their computer name (or whatever you are locking the key to) once or twice they can still install their key. This will prevent wholesale copying of keys within a company. License Tracker will be able to import data from the Authentication Server allowing you to identify customers who may be abusing their license conditions. You will also be able to change the Authentication limits for a given key on the server from License Tracker to either prevent the key being used or extend a given user some more grace.
Orgbrat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in the above functionality. Would you please notify me when you have the above authentication services ready for release. Thanks...

Orgbrat
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will send out an email to all ILS customers about this when it is released. To esure that you receive emails about new releases see the following post: http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=946
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are happy to announce the release of Version 4 of ILS. Version 4 includes the new authenticated licensing model. See the Release Notes for more details.

Note that this is a paid upgrade. For a limited time the upgrade price for existing Version 3 customers is just the difference between the full cost for Version 3 ($US90) and the new cost for Version 4 ($US140). Full pricing information is available from www.infralution.com/licensingpurchase.html.
rickrat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
We are happy to announce the release of Version 4 of ILS. Version 4 includes the new authenticated licensing model. See the Release Notes for more details.

Note that this is a paid upgrade. For a limited time the upgrade price for existing Version 3 customers is just the difference between the full cost for Version 3 ($US90) and the new cost for Version 4 ($US140). Full pricing information is available from www.infralution.com/licensingpurchase.html.

I started writing an activation add-in for it too, but now that you've released this I've upgraded too. Very Happy

the link www.infralution.com/licensingpurchase.html don't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: