Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server address for floating licenses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Server address for floating licenses Reply with quote

When the client application obtains a floating license from the service, the server address and the port are required. How do you get these two values? Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server address is the IP address or name of the computer that has the license server installed on it. The default port is defined by your application (in the app.config of the client and server projects). The user could then change these (in the case where there is a conflict with another application). It would probably be a good idea to change the default port for you application from the one supplied in the sample (19399) so that you avoid possible clashes with other users of ILS.
Javier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the port could be any number? Where did the number 19399 come from? If the user needs to change this number due to a conflict, how does this affect my application?

Another issue is about the testing of the floating network license. I don't have a network, so I will be relying on the customer installation and reporting of any issues. I agree that this is not the most desirable solution, but I cannot figure out how to test it from my laptop, where I already have the individual licenses of my application. Any ideas? Thank you.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ports can be any number. It is best to avoid well known ports (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers)

The user can just change the port in the .config file for the server and then specify that port when they connect the client.

You can still install the floating license server on your machine and then install a floating client on the same machine by specifying the loop back address 127.0.0.1 for the server address. Alternatively you may be able to install one or more virtual machines which will have a different network address to your main machine and be able to connect from the virtual machine.
Javier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can still install the floating license server on your machine and then install a floating client on the same machine

However, I have the local license of my application already installed in my laptop. Can I install a network license for the same product in the same computer? Can a local license and a network license co-exist in the same machine?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default the sample license service installs its license in the same directory as the server (whereas typically application store their licenses under the Users or ProgramData area. So you should be able to install a server license without affecting your existing application license. Then you configure your client to use the floating license.
Javier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the application know which license to use? Do I need to uninstall the local license and install the network license, and vice versa, or is there an easier way to switch between licenses?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to build your application specifically to support floating licenses. The Floating License Application sample project demonstrates the code required to support floating licenses. It allows the user to select either a floating license or a fixed license when they install the license.
Javier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to install the License Service in my laptop as an administrator. The parameter /I seems to work ok, no error messages, except that the status of the service is blank, instead of Started. Is this an indication of a problem? If so, what should I check?

The parameter /L does give a bootstrap error message that I submitted to the NET.Encryptor forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: