Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HTTP 403 Error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypehuman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: HTTP 403 Error Reply with quote

I'm using ILS 5.10.1.0 on an Azure Website. My application reauthenticates every time it starts up. It works in most cases, but when installed on a particular Virtual Machine, it doesn't authenticate; instead it encounters an HTTP 403 error in WPF.AuthenticationService.AuthenticationService.Authenticate(String, String, Byte[]).

First of all, is this a known issue? Is there a fix, and will upgrading to 5.11.1 get rid of it?

Otherwise, I assume I'll need to debug it on the server side. What would be the best way to go about this with VS 2010? I did some research and found a couple options:
- Get the ILS server source code, compile it with IntelliTrace enabled, and deploy it to a new Azure Website for debugging
- Upgrade to VS 2013 and enable Remote Debugging
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a known issue - it sounds like it may be an issue with your web server.

Does the error happen every time on the particular virtual machine?

Does the same error occur if you try and authenticate/install a key on that machine?

What operating system is the virtual machine running?
hypehuman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually works on that VM, but there were two periods yesterday where, for a few hours, we got that 403 error whenever we tried to authenticate or install a new license. During those times, other machines were working normally.

The VM uses Windows 7 Enterprise, SP 1.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange because the 403 error is typically a permissions issue (See http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E403.html) which would be server related. So the fact that it is only occurring on one computer is strange. Does your main website use ASP.NET authentication to control access to the site?
hypehuman

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's baffling. It's happening again today. It only occurs for customers on a particular network accessing a particular product within our authentication server. If they switch to another network, or try to authenticate a different product on the same server, it works fine.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on one machine you can authenticate one product but not another - but on other machines you can authenticate both products? And this is consistently repeatable for that period of time?

The only explanation I could think for that behaviour is that you have a firewall/anti-virus product running on that machine that for some reason is blocking internet access for one application but not the other.
hypehuman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please scratch the part about the products: both were acting the same way.

It did indeed turn out to be a firewall issue. We were using the url http://[ourproductname].azurewebsites.net. The website was blocked because of "Web Hosting". The strange thing is that the access behaves differently in a browser and from my application:
- Browser: http://[ourproductname].azurewebsites.net/[any subdirectory] is always blocked
- Application: usually works, but sometimes stops working for hours at a time

So I guess their security software must be somehow treating HTTP and SOAP requests differently, or maybe they have consistent security software built into their browsers and buggy software for the whole network.

Fix: I added added a DNS entry to my own domain so that the authentication URL doesn't contain "azurewebsites.net" anymore.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know. I guess because it was intermittent it might have looked like it was working on one product and not another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: