Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

408 Request Timeout
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advansys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, thanks for the suggestion and I did exactly that last night. Smile The first response I got was that they don't support third party databases. The second response was they misunderstood my first message and I should contact support for a performance check. Funny that, if it is not GoDaddy support responding to my messages, who the heck is it? Rolling Eyes
Advansys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply I just received from GoDaddy...

Support Staff Response

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for your response. Your current hosting plans does not allow Access Database connections. If you require the use of an Access databaseyou will need to be on our older Legacy Hosting. For more information and pricing, please follow this link:

Legacy Hosting

Please let us know if you have further questions, comments, or concerns by replying to this email.

Regards,

Autumn P
Online Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Could they be correct? I do not remember reading about that restriction. Does that mean we have to change to legacy hosting or use MSSQL, which we can use on our current plan if needed? I would have thought MSSQL would be potentially slower, although I've not tested it.
Advansys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after speaking with Steven at GoDaddy phone support (who was very helpful) it looks like that you must choose Legacy Hosting if you want Access database support with GoDaddy. Their new 4GH plans do not support Access. Evidently it has to do with IIS 7.

Legacy hosting: http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/hosting.aspx?ci=22124&isc=gdbba22#details

The MSSQL databases are stored on a remote server farm, which is separate to the hosted 4GH web server. This means their is overhead in communicating from the client via the hosted web server to the remote database server. We need to see if this performance is acceptable with ILS.

If the shared hosting performance is not acceptable, we have two options if we want to stay with GoDaddy: cancel the existing 4GH web service and purchase a new Legacy Hosted service. We can then use a local Access database or MSSQL, although the MSSQL is still hosted remotely. Alternatively, upgrade to a dedicated virtual hosted web service.

We'll try configuring for MSSQL and advise of what we find regarding performance. The maximum size supported by our plan is 200 MB for the MSSQL database. We have no idea how many authentications that is likely to support.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their new 4GH plans do not support Access. Evidently it has to do with IIS 7.

I could understand that if it never worked - it seems a little unlikely as the explanation for something that is working intermittently. Certainly you cannot use Access as the backend database if the server is running 64 bit IIS (but this will always give an error).

The authentication service does not really put much load at all on the server so it really shouldn't be an issue.
Advansys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I thought. What also supports that contention is that I'm now getting many timeouts while attempting to run install.aspx to configure the MSSQL database connection, which obviously has nothing at all to do with Access.

I am currently speaking with GoDaddy support to get a resolution and I will advise. If the 4GH hosting tests do not reveal a problem, I will change to a legacy hosted system.
Advansys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest update is that after hours consulting with GoDaddy support, upon their recommendation and in conjunction with your experience, I've cancelled my 4GH shared hosting server and I'm moving to a GoDaddy Legacy Hosting service. GoDaddy support said that sometimes the legacy systems just work better for certain applications. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm hoping and expecting it to work correctly. If and when needed, the upgrade path is to a dedicated virtual server.

Do you have any recommendations with respect to using IIS 6 or IIS 7?
Advansys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed to a GoDaddy legacy hosted server, Access database, IIS 6 and so far so good, I have not been able to replicate the timeout problem, whereas with the previous GoDaddy 4GH hosted server, it was very easy to precipitate the problem. I will provide an update if this behaviour changes as time progresses.

Greg
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. It would be interesting to know whether the other customers who reported this issue were also on the new 4GH plans. It seems like GoDaddy still have some work to do on the 4GH hosting if even the Install.aspx page was having issues. The install page is a very standard ASP.NET page (not even a service) with database backend. If it is getting timeout issues then I would suspect 99% of ASP.NET apps will have similar problems.
Advansys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
It seems like GoDaddy still have some work to do on the 4GH hosting if even the Install.aspx page was having issues.

I believe there were two distinct issues at play. One was a specific node balancing issue affecting my 4GH hosting service (and others) and that was finally resolved. That fixed the Install.aspx performance issue and it again became very responsive. GoDaddy were not aware of the node infrastructure issue prior to my contacting them about the License Tracker timeouts.

However, after that node infrastructure issue was resolved by GoDaddy, I still experienced the same frequent but irregular timeout issues when running License Tracker, even with the 'supported' MSSQL database configured on 4GH.

Now that we've moved to a legacy hosting service, further testing since the cut-over on Saturday, while still limited testing, has not precipitated one timeout failure. By contrast, when on the 4GH system, even with limited testing the problem would become apparent quickly.
Advansys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy emailed me as a follow-up to the issues experienced. I mentioned this thread and this is their reply.

Quote:
Hi Gregory,

Thank you for the reply. I'm happy to hear that your technical issue has been resolved and appreciate your willingness be collaborate. In reading through the thread on Infralution's support forum, it appears that the software is most responsive to an IIS 6.0 environment. Our 4GH plans, unfortunately, do not currently support IIS 6.0. My understanding is that this is due to the technical configuration of these servers and that there are currently no plans to add IIS 6.0 to these platforms.

As always, we are interested in hearing how our products and services can be of better use to our customers. You are invited to send requests regarding updates of this nature to suggestions@godaddy.com so that they may be considered by our development team.

If you have any further assistance, please feel free to contact our 24/7 Customer Care Center at 480-505-8877 or you can reach us by email at support@godaddy.com

Regards,

[Name removed]
Hosting Support Supervisor

Is this assertion about IIS 6.0 begin optimal for the ILS Authentication server correct?

Thanks,

Greg
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think that is correct. I don't know of any issues using the Authentication Service with IIS7 with normal hosting. The Authentication Service is just a standard ASP.NET web service with a very light load. Frankly if a hosting solution can't handle its requirements then it is very unlikely it will handle any ASP.NET web service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: