Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

408 Request Timeout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: 408 Request Timeout Reply with quote

Hi Infralution Support

Info: ILS V5.0.0.0, VS2008, Win7.

All works fantastically except that since going live the first attempt at Authentication always fails. The second attempt always works very fast and the licence is authenticated.

The same thing occurs in ILS Tracker where on 'Import Authentication Data' the first attempt always fails, click no, and the second attemp will suceed.

When authenticating a licence after the authentication server is sent the Post (TCP segment of a reassembled PDU) on the first attempt returns:

"HTTP/1.1 408 Request Timeout
Connection: close
Pragma: no-cache
cache-control: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 514

<html>Your request timed out. Please retry the request.
</html>"

The First attemp Post ends with a "Connection: Keep_Alive" the second post ends at the "Content-Length: 935". Otherwise both Posts are exactly the same except for the additional line in the first Post.

Do you have any Ideas of what could be causing this?

Regards....

GRR

PS
I just noticed that if I attempt authentication and then the ILS shows the Authentication Error Dialog box with the Yes No buttons for sending licence via email etc and then click No and then wait some time before making a second attempt, then it will fail on the second attempt as well.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first attempt fails, but if you try again quickly it succeeds?

You say "since going live" - do you mean you weren't getting this issue before when testing? Are you including the source code in your application - if so is it VB or C#?

What is the network setup of the computer that you are authenticating from? If it is part of corporate network does it use a Proxy Server - if so which one?

Have you tried authenticating from a computer outside this network?

Did you get the same issue when installing your ILS license? You can reinstall your ILS license again to check this. This should tell us whether the problem is with network at client or at your server.
grr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: 408 Cont Reply with quote

Support on a Sunday ...Wow

Q: So the first attempt fails, but if you try again quickly it succeeds?
A: Yes

Q: You say "since going live" - do you mean you weren't getting this issue before when testing? Are you including the source code in your application - if so is it VB or C#?

A: No problems with localhost service. Live means that I have put the Auth service on Go Daddy. I have builds using a reference to ILS as well as imbedded source in the app and both exhibit the same issue. The App is in VB.

Q: What is the network setup of the computer that you are authenticating from? If it is part of corporate network does it use a Proxy Server - if so which one?

A: No Proxy No Corporate. It is a small network of several devices with no DC connected to a broadband provider.

Q: Have you tried authenticating from a computer outside this network?

A: No not yet. It is Sunday. I will do this tomorrow.

Q: Did you get the same issue when installing your ILS license? You can reinstall your ILS license again to check this. This should tell us whether the problem is with network at client or at your server.

A: Well No but that was some time ago. OK I will try this again Now.
Hmm... It happened Instantly. It is either something that I have done or something Go Daddy have done. They put my email accounts on the incorrect server so whilst all looked OK nothing came in or out.

I will put the Auth service on MelbourneIT tomorrow night and test it and let you know the outcome

Sorry... this isn't really an ILS issue...and I appreciate your assistance.

Regards...

GRRalph
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it looks like Godaddy must have changed something on their new accounts (since Infralution is hosted on Godaddy but doesn't have the issue). Another user has posted a very similar issue - also with a new Godaddy account:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7601#7601

What sort of Godaddy hosting are you using?

Can you email support@infralution.com the URL of your authentication service so we can check out the problem.

Last edited by Infralution on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of googling seems to indicate the problem is at the server end (and may be due to server load). See the following links:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E408.html

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1849905&start=0

What is the responsiveness of the website hosting the service like?

You should probably open a GoDaddy support ticket on this issue. If we an lend any weight to helping you resolve this with them we will. If they are unable to remedy the issue we will reconsider recommending them for new customers.
grr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tested it on another network and it was exactly the same.

This morning I planned to upgrade to ILS 5.1.0 before attacking the 408 Issue again. I had left the App Unlicensed and clicked Install License and to my surprise it worked first time.

I tested again and again and it worked first time everytime.

I used Go Daddy telephone support and asked them to check settings on the server. I told then that browsing was OK and that the 408s were from a web service.

They didn't seem to understand and kept asking "In what browser". I waited while someone checked the server and they came back with there is nothing wrong at all. I basically said then how come it works on other peoples accounts but not on mine. There was a bit of silence. I thought that they would have escalated my problem. I said that I would have to test it on another providers server and get back to them and hung up..

I think that they may have escalated it behind my back. I have often found that US companies have a policy of admit nothing, but fix it.

I will ask them if they tweaked anything as knowing what they did could save someone a lot of work and speed up the resolution of the issue.

Thanks again for your assistance.

GRR
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been a server load issue. If you are using shared hosting then possibly another client on the same server may have been soaking up all the bandwidth/processor. Something to keep an eye on.
joefox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the same error also now for like 2 weeks.

The first try always gets that error, then if i try again its fine.
Everytime, anytime of day.

What is the fix?
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using shared hosting? It seems the most likely reason for this issue is that your server is under very heavy load - probably due to another rogue process/client on your server. Contact GoDaddy to ask them to check out the problem.
Advansys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also seeing the same problem. We are finalising our product ready for release and testing only a couple of records in the hosted Access database on a GoDaddy 4GH Windows server. We have contacted GoDaddy regarding the problem.

What are the current recommendations for reliable remote hosting of the authentication service? Any updates or it's just that we are likely to have a bad luck with our GoDaddy hosted server load?

For those that experienced this problem, how did you solve it? Did you have to move hosting providers and/or upgrade your hosting plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exact problem(s) are you having?

Infralution has been hosted with Godaddy for years without experiencing the issue - but we are on an older hosting plan. We have stopped recommending them however because a few customers have reported issues like this. If we can help in any way to sort this out with them then let us know. This will cost them quite a few potential new customers if they can't sort it out.
Advansys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. Here is the error we get when using License Tracker: http://screencast.com/t/KvpF5D3X

This error is only an example of using one License Tracker command (upload product data). Any authentication server interaction, such as downloading authentications, can cause this error. It is unpredictable in nature but very frequent, similar to that described above. It will work once time then not another. It will usually work the next time after a failure but not necessarily when you try again after a successful command. It is like a server load or bizarre configuration issue and I'm currently trying to get GoDaddy to look into it and explain what is happening.

And, what's more, the hosted access database includes the huge number of two (2), yes 2, records at present!

Thanks,

Greg
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your screenshot link is broken so I couldn't see the error - but it does sound similar to the previous issues in this thread. Does the error always occur the first time you try connecting to the authentication server (after a reasonable break)?
Advansys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry, I fixed the link, when posting I put a full stop at the end of the URL and it was marked up automatically in error when submitted.

Yes, the error usually happens the first time we try to connect after a reasonable break.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can point GoDaddy support to this thread so that they can see this is not an isolated issue (and not a configuration problem on your behalf). We used to recommend GoDaddy for web hosting - but not since customers started reporting these issues and the lack of help from GoDaddy in resolving them. So they are definitely losing customers over this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: