Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

License Tracker is Slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renegade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: License Tracker is Slow Reply with quote

I'm having some excruciating pain with License Tracker. It's taking forever to do anything. Each click is quite literally taking between 2 to 5 minutes (and sometimes more) to 'resolve'. It's great to make coffee and have a cigarette break, but... I can only drink so much coffee and smoke so much. Smile

All other network activity seems ok with no really slow traffic. e.g. FTP, HTTP, etc. I can't think of any reason why it should be so slow and everything else is normal/fast.

It's so slow that it would be faster for me to log onto the server and input data into the database manually.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

(The server is a dedicated server with no issues. I can configure anything needed to fix this. It's running MS SQL Server 2008 R2.)
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a local server (ie you are accessing over a local network)?

Have you had a look at the following FAQ about performance issues with SQL Server?

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2011

Also turning off the "Maintain Selection on Sort" option will improve performance.
Renegade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Is this a local server (ie you are accessing over a local network)?

Have you had a look at the following FAQ about performance issues with SQL Server?

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2011

Also turning off the "Maintain Selection on Sort" option will improve performance.

No. The server is remote. (Server is located in Texas. I'm in Melbourne.)

I checked the FAQ and the other thread it mentions.

TCP/IP is enabled. I've also unchecked "Maintain Selection on Sort". I also unchecked "Show sales totals".

However, it's still quite slow. Switching tabs now is much faster. There's no comparison now. Switching tabs takes a couple seconds.

But opening up and closing a product still takes an extreme amount of time.

I'm not sure what to do there. Should I simply install ILS on the server then use Remote Desktop to use License Tracker? That is an option for me as the server is mine.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly try running License Tracker on the server (via Remote Desktop) to see if you can find the root cause of the issue. What is your bandwidth to the server like. I know that Optus in Australia have been having issues with bandwidth to US based sites - so if you are with them that may be the issue.

What exactly is slow now? If you have the products displayed, select one and double click it takes a long to open - is that correct?
Renegade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
I would certainly try running License Tracker on the server (via Remote Desktop) to see if you can find the root cause of the issue. What is your bandwidth to the server like. I know that Optus in Australia have been having issues with bandwidth to US based sites - so if you are with them that may be the issue.

What exactly is slow now? If you have the products displayed, select one and double click it takes a long to open - is that correct?

I'll give it a shot through Remote Desktop.

I'm on TPG, and other than horrible FTP up speeds (maxes out at 85 kB/s) to my server, everything else is speedy. I've tried bypassing any possible protocol throttling by TPG by using a VPN outside of Australia. Same results.

For what is slow now -- yes -- changing tabs is quick enough -- it's opening and closing products that is slow.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit strange because there's not a lot of SQL traffic happening when you open a product. In fact the only thing (I think) is an Edit happening on selected Product record to provide some optimistic concurrency control.

Do you get the same delay with creating/editing a customer?
Renegade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
That's a bit strange because there's not a lot of SQL traffic happening when you open a product. In fact the only thing (I think) is an Edit happening on selected Product record to provide some optimistic concurrency control.

Do you get the same delay with creating/editing a customer?

Delays with creating a customer are under 30 seconds, so they are much better. (Haven't gotten to installing ILS on the server yet...)
Renegade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... On the server through Remote Desktop, it's all pretty much instantaneous... So it's obviously some network issue... But I'm not sure about where that is...
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - so opening the Product dialog was taking more than 30 secs!
Renegade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Wow - so opening the Product dialog was taking more than 30 secs!

Yes. It was freakishly long, sometimes taking more than 5 minutes, which is just bizarre.

But like I said, on the actual server it's instantaneous. i.e. Zero perceptible delay.

The network traffic is tiny, so it's not that. I'm not sure what the problem is, though I know now that it's a SQL Server network issue. I'm just not sure how to fix it as I've not really done a huge amount of remote SQL Server work in quite a while, so I'm pretty rusty... Sad

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: