Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems Using Form Preview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquisio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Problems Using Form Preview Reply with quote

I am having difficulty deploying a translation file in which the translator will use Globalizer's preview feature.

I have used the Developer Edition to create a workspace and, as described in the documentation, I have configured the Deploy Directory to use a value in the following format:

Code:
[ProgramFilesFolder]\Company Name\Product Name

I am able to export a translation file and open it with the Translator Edition, but there are errors when it tries to access the compiled assembly containing the forms that will be rendered in the preview.

When the exported workspace is opened from its original location, it is able to to access the installed assembly correctly. However, when moved to another directory, it shows E203 errors when attempting to use preview.

This is fragile, as I have no way of knowing where the translator will save the workspace file before working on it.

What do I need to do to force Globalizer to consistently discover the compiled product assemblies in their usual installed location?

Also, there is a second problem accessing some of the forms in the assembly, resulting in E205 errors. I have used Reflector to examine the assembly and confirm that the form types are present and in the correct namespaces. Any suggestions why Globalizer is unable to see them?

Thanks,
Tim
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked that this is working correctly with the current release of Globalizer. With my deploy directory set to the correct program files area I was able to move the workspace file anywhere including another drive without affecting preview. I also tried this on a clean machine that did not have the original development source for the application on it.

I think the most likely explanation is that you may have a mistake in your deploy directory - did you type this or use the [...] browse button at the right to locate the directory? This directory must be the one that has the actual assemblies in it. Also check the Project Targets properties in your workspace. These also have a Deploy Directory property. Normally this should be empty (null). If it is set then it specifies a directory relative to the Workspace deploy directory that the particular project assemblies should be in. This allows for the case where you have assemblies in different sub-directories in your distribution.

The E205 errors may arise if (for some reason) the Resource Name property for the form or control does not match its compiled type name.

If you can't resolve these issues then we can take a look at them for you if you email (support@infralution.com) us a copy of your workspace and your application installer.
If you are still having problems
aquisio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The problem with directory path was, as you suggested, that the Deploy Directory was being overidden by values assigned at Project Targets level. This is now working correctly although I think your documentation could be a little more explicit in this respect. Although it explains how this override works, it fails to mention that these override values are assigned automatically when a project target is added. It is also quite misleading that the behavior is different if the exported translation file is opened from the location in which the original developer workspace resides.

I also solved the E205 errors by looking more closely at the naming of my forms.

However, I am now facing a consequent problem. When previewing form controls, some of them trigger a license violation dialog that is part of our application's licensing system. I realize that I need to solve this problem myself, but it is also highlighting an adverse behavior of Globalizer. When our license dialog is dismissed, Globalizer closes unexpectedly and all unsaved changes are lost.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally Globalizer traps exceptions thrown by the forms/control being previewed and displays an error message that allows you to continue working in Globalizer. Are these Windows Forms controls or WPF controls/Windows?

If you could send us your app and workspace we would be happy to take a look at this and see why the exception trapping mechanism isn't working in this case. To support preview of the controls you may need to modify them so that you can detect the case they are being used in the application as opposed to the preview and don't call the licensing check then (as described in the help on Previewing).
aquisio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll send you the installer for our application together with a copy of our workspace file by email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: