Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scan does not find localized value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheitman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Scan does not find localized value. Reply with quote

Hi.

When I scan my project vor Updated resources it does not found them. Instead its value is empty. However when I check "Scann All Cultures" it is found. But a lot of my translations are marked as "invariant changed". (is this in some way resetable?)

Here is my current Scenario:
We use TFS as version control system.
I localized some resources with Globalizer in branch A. I checked it in and merged it to branch B. Now I scan branch B in another globalizer project but it does not recognize the values I changed in branch A.

I thougth when I do a rescan it also changes the existing translated values ("Replace Existing Values" is checked)

Best regards,
Sven
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localized values are not scanned unless you check the "Scan All Cultures" box. Normally you want to use the Globalizer.NET workspace as the "master" version and build the localized resources from it. You generally only use "Scan All Cultures" when first converting an existing localized project to use Globalizer.NET - otherwise you run the risk of overwriting translations you have made in Globalizer.NET.
sheitman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Localized values are not scanned unless you check the "Scan All Cultures" box. Normally you want to use the Globalizer.NET workspace as the "master" version and build the localized resources from it. You generally only use "Scan All Cultures" when first converting an existing localized project to use Globalizer.NET - otherwise you run the risk of overwriting translations you have made in Globalizer.NET.

Ok that makes sence and just the way I thought it would work.

We are working with different branches and have 2 release branches.
One is a stable release and one is a more beta release.
Currently I favorite the stable release branch as target for my localization because the beta release branch is more fluent and I want to avoid merge conflicts due changed resx files while my translator is doing is job.

However we may need to localize the beta release too especially if some foreign company needs some features of the beta and here comes the trouble...

Any thoughts about this?
Is there some way to keep the real status of rescanned values?
It marks nearly everything as "invariant changed" however the value hasn't changed at all... This would help me at least. Otherwise its confusing for the translator.

Best regards
Sven
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scan status is not seen by the translator - they only see the translation status associated with the individual translation. However if the Scan Status is set to "Invariant Changed" when scanning then this sets the status of each of the translations to "Needs Review".

Are you sure the Scan Status is changing to "Invariant Changed" when the invariant hasn't changed since the project was last scanned? I've tested this in the current version and it seems to be working as expected.

What version of Globalizer.NET are you using?
sheitman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. It has the state "translation changed".
Yesterday I had a lot of "Invariant Changed" so I thought there seems to be an error but it was right I guess. I'm sorry. I also used the developer version for testing not the translator editon...

Can you tell me when the state will switch from "translation changed" to the green one?
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scan Status reports the status of the last scan. It will change back to "Unchanged" next time you scan the workspace (if there are no changes).
sheitman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information.

My translator sometimes changes the Invariant value wich is ok for me, however when I do an import it seems the Invariant value is not imported, the state of the translation is instead set to "needs review" which is "as designed" when I understand the help file correct.

ATM I open his project in a seperate Globalizer Instance and look at those line to see what he has changed. Is there some other way I haven't noticed yet?
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The invariant value is not imported because it would be unusual to want a translator to touch the invariant value. If you do want this then the best solution would to be add the actual language to you workspace and have the translator make any changes in that language (they can leave all other translations untranslated and they will just get the invariant value).

For instance if your invariant language is English then you would add English as a language to your workspace. When you get the workspace back from the translator you can copy any of the changed English translations back into the Invariant (sorting on the English column makes it easy to find the ones they have added) then you can delete the language.
sheitman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try Smile
sheitman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
For instance if your invariant language is English then you would add English as a language to your workspace. When you get the workspace back from the translator you can copy any of the changed English translations back into the Invariant (sorting on the English column makes it easy to find the ones they have added) then you can delete the language.

I'm using the way you described and it is working like a charm. However I have a problem.
The added english column is empty and my translator only adds some text if the original text is wrong. However the status bar counts the english column into the total translation sum and completed sum. My translator has some difficulties to say how much work he has to do/how much translations he has to do. He is looking for some way to exclude the english column from this calculation. Hiding the column has not worked.

Do you know some way how he would achieve this or could you add something that would help here? I know it has something in common with my feature request (http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2083)... well it would be optimal. However I don't know when you release the next major version and I need some relative quick solution. :-/
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My translator has some difficulties to say how much work he has to do/how much translations he has to do. He is looking for some way to exclude the english column from this calculation. Hiding the column has not worked.

Do you mean translator working on your English translations? I would have thought he won't know how many translations he has to fix until he has looked at each one. If you note the number "Completed" before he starts and the number "Completed" afterwood that should give you the number of translations he has done.

If you mean translators of other languages then you normally export the workspace to send it to them with just the languages they are working on - then reimport it when they are done. So their workspaces shouldn't include the English column anyway.
sheitman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to tell you that our invariant language is german... so yes the english translator get an additional german column bceause he is german and sometimes corrects the original value...

Quote:
If you note the number "Completed" before he starts and the number "Completed" afterwood that should give you the number of translations he has done.
I think I will suggest him this way. Sometimes it's so easy... Smile

Quote:
If you mean translators of other languages then you normally export the workspace to send it to them with just the languages they are working on - then reimport it when they are done. So their workspaces shouldn't include the English column anyway.
That is exactly what I'm doing right now. Additionally the translators use the tmx export in some other translation tool to count the words because they get payed by word count.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: