Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TFS Support, export/import to excel and some minor problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheitman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: TFS Support, export/import to excel and some minor problems Reply with quote

Hi,

while evaluating Globalizer we noticed that we are missing some features.

First we are using Team Foundation Server and it seems Infralution has no build in support for this. We have to check out all files before writing the resx files and it would be nice if globalizer would do this automatically. Also newly created resx files are not checked in to tfs automatically so we have some trouble with adding them later manually.

Second we are missing an export to xls. I know we could ship a translator edition to our translators but we would prefer a simple solution like excelfiles.
A lot of peapole are familiar with excel and your tool is great but we have to introduce it to our translators wich are indeed not professional translators.
Currently I used export to tmx but it was not easy to find a cheap tool to convert it to excel and the tool I used gives me an error about your tmx format. Open and save the tmx file in another tool helps. But as you can see there are to much steps to get an excel export.

Third sometimes I have some trouble with the sync of Globalizer and the resx files. Either values of the resx file are not imported correctly (its empty) or when I delete the vvalue in Globalizer the values stay in the resx file.
Perhaps you could explain me the build mechanism if I do something wrong or take a look into this.

Fourth, solution folders are not recognized. It would be fine if the tree would be structured like in visual studio.

Fifth Globalizer seems to optimize the resx files. It creates some Assembly nodes and refers to them in the data nodes. However this is not what visual studio is doing. Is there some way to change this behaviour?

Sixth, is there some way to buy the tool with sourcecode?

Seventh, I'm using Resharper 5.0 and it adds the CDATA tags around the value if there is something like a tabstop in the value.
This it not recognized by Globlaizer and as result I get a blank entry.

Best regards,
Sven
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First we are using Team Foundation Server and it seems Infralution has no build in support for this. We have to check out all files before writing the resx files and it would be nice if globalizer would do this automatically. Also newly created resx files are not checked in to tfs automatically so we have some trouble with adding them later manually.

We will have a look at what adding Team Foundation Server support would involve. In the meantime an alternative you might want to consider is using Deployed (Binary) Build to build your satellite assemblies directly (bypassing the need for language resx files altogether). For large projects with many languages this can be a better way to go.

Quote:
Second we are missing an export to xls. I know we could ship a translator edition to our translators but we would prefer a simple solution like excelfiles. A lot of peapole are familiar with excel and your tool is great but we have to introduce it to our translators wich are indeed not professional translators.

We plan to incorporate a CSV (excel) import/export feature in a future release.

Quote:
Third sometimes I have some trouble with the sync of Globalizer and the resx files. Either values of the resx file are not imported correctly (its empty) or when I delete the vvalue in Globalizer the values stay in the resx file. Perhaps you could explain me the build mechanism if I do something wrong or take a look into this.

If you have an example of a resource you think Globalizer is not scanning correctly then send a zipped copy of the resx file(s) to support@infralution.com and we will check it out. Globalizer does not automatically delete resx file entries that are removed from Globalizer.NET unless you check the "Delete and rebuild non-invariant Resx Files" option in in the build dialog. This is to allow interoperability with changes you might make in the Visual Studio designer. For instance you may only scan text resources in Globalizer.NET but use Visual Studio designer to change form layout in specific languages.

Quote:
Fourth, solution folders are not recognized. It would be fine if the tree would be structured like in visual studio.

The file structure used by developers does not necessarily make sense for translators. Our design decision was to flatten the hierarchy so that translators can immediately see the forms/controls that require translations. We have been considering the possibility of adding an option that would retain the directory structure in the solution.

Quote:
Fifth Globalizer seems to optimize the resx files. It creates some Assembly nodes and refers to them in the data nodes. However this is not what visual studio is doing. Is there some way to change this behaviour?

Different versions of Visual Studio write the resx files in different ways. We are not aware of any issues that this causes - is there a specific problem with the format that Globalizer.NET is generating.

Quote:
Sixth, is there some way to buy the tool with sourcecode?

Source code is only available with purchase of a site license - which is negotiated based on the size of the company. The cost will be at least that of a 10 license pack.

Quote:
Seventh, I'm using Resharper 5.0 and it adds the CDATA tags around the value if there is something like a tabstop in the value.

If you send an example of a resx file with this issue to support@infralution.com we will take a look at how Globalizer.NET is handling it.
Klaus Gütter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: TFS Support, export/import to excel and some minor probl Reply with quote

sheitman wrote:

I second that; perhaps you can use the generic source control provider interfaces so that is works with VSS, SVN etc, too.

In this context: If the source .resx is write protected (what happens if it is under source control), Globalizer is unable to write the translation resx. It seems like Globalizer creates the target by copying the source resx inclusing the read-only attribute and then cannot overwrite it later.

Best regards,
Klaus
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info. We will definitely fix the issue with the Readonly attribute being copied. We have the Team Foundation Server integration on our to do list.
sheitman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:

Quote:

If you send an example of a resx file with this issue to support@infralution.com we will take a look at how Globalizer.NET is handling it.

I just want to let you know that I sent you an example project to demonstrate my problem.
Resharper is storing strings with whitespaces in a CDATA-tag while Visual Studio is marking such elements with the attribute xml:space="preserve".
Globalizer handles those CDATA - tag not correctly.
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks we've received the email and will take a look at the issue.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sample project - we've found the source of this problem and should have a release out early next week that fixes this issue.
sheitman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Thanks for the sample project - we've found the source of this problem and should have a release out early next week that fixes this issue.

Good to hear and thanks for the fast fix Smile
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.3.4 of Globalizer.NET has just been released. This release fixes the issue with scanning resx entries that use the CDATA tag. It also fixes the issue with the Readonly attribute being copied (and causing an error) when creating new culture specific resx files during a build.
sheitman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one more reason for TFS support:
I have activated to rebuild the resx files and when there are no changes they are deleted what is totaly fine and what I want however when I checkin my changes TFS is going crazy because files are physical deleted and not via TFS and the checkin fails.
So I have to undo the changes of the deleted files manualy and delete them later via TFS...

So +1 for TFS support once again^^

What I need is that globalizer recognizes solutions/projects wich are under source control and supports fetch latest version, automatically checkout, add to version control...

Regards
Sven
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
I have activated to rebuild the resx files and when there are no changes they are deleted what is totaly fine and what I want however when I checkin my changes TFS is going crazy because files are physical deleted and not via TFS and the checkin fails.

I can see this would be a pain - however it should only happen once after upgrading to Version 2.3.6. It is only occurring because the previous version was (incorrectly) still generating a culture specific resx file for resxs that didn't have any translations. We have got TFS integration on our feature request list.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are currently looking at how we will implement support for TFS and other version control systems for the next major release of Globalizer. Our current thinking is that we will provide customizable command line actions (similar to Visual Studio Build Actions) that get executed:

- before a new file is created
- when a file is modified
- when a file is deleted

These actions could then be configured to call the command line interface for whatever version control system you are using.

One aspect that is yet to be determined is whether these actions should be configured per machine or associated with the Workspace file. There are advantages to both approaches. Obviously if they are machine wide options then you don't have to configure them for each new workspace. On the other hand if they are saved with the workspace then you can use different version control systems for different projects more easily. Possibly we could allow configuration of these on a per target basis.

Let us know what you think.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3 of Globalizer has now been released and includes new Custom Events that can be defined when Globalizer creates or modifies files - to allow you to integrate Globalizer with your source control system.

See the Release Announcement for more details.
sheitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for adding the events. Seems there is finally an easy way to integrate TFS support for the file operations.

However I have to request a new event.

The problem is to delete a file in TFS there is a special command for this.
So I need an event to identify that a file will be deleted.

However for the event I need to distinguish between "delete" and "delete and a new file be created" to maintain the history of that file.

Do you think this is posiible?

And one question do I have. Is the file edit event be fired for proj files too?

Kind regards,
Sven
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I think we missed the fact that if you use "Rebuild non-Invariant resx files" you may need to handle the Delete possibility. If the file gets deleted and then recreated then it should (in my opinion) just fire the Modify events (not the delete event) since it is essentially just re-writing the file. Would this work for you?

If this is OK we will try to get an update out as soon as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: