Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best practises for choosing invariant language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: best practises for choosing invariant language Reply with quote

Hi,

i am currently evaluating Globalizer.Net and have a question regarding the invariant language.

I am not a native speaker (and even worse, a technician ;-) so my texts have to be translated to proper English.
My first idea was, to set the invariant language to "English", and to have the translater translate this to e.g. "English(US)".

This seems not possible, since as invariant language i can only choose a specific culture (like "English(US)") but not the neutral one.

What is the correct procedure in such a situation?

Regards,
andreas
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Invariant Culture is not really associated with any specific culture. The culture you set for the Invariant Language (in the Workspace Languages dialog) is just the culture that Globalizer.NET will use to run your application (if you start your application through Globalizer.NET) and to auto select the input editor when editing. This requires a specific culture (ie not just English).

The Invariant Culture resources are the fallback resources that your application uses if the Thread.UICulture is set to an culture that your application doesn't have specific resources for. If you ensure that your application only sets the UICulture to cultures for which you have localized resources then you could possibly get away with the Invariant Culture never being displayed to the end user. The invariant culture resources will however be compiled into your application assemblies - and so you will increase the size of your deployed assemblies. If you take this approach then you would just add an "English" target language to the workspace and have your translator use this. The disadvantage of this approach is you can't just set the Thread.UICulture to the Thread.CurrentCulture (which is by default the current culture of the user) and rely on the .NET fallback mechanism to select the appropriate culture.

An alternative approach is to add the "English" language to the workspace as above but then copy the English translations back into the Invariant once you are happy with them. Then delete the English language from the workspace and rebuild your project using source localization with the "Build Invariant files" option ticked. This will update your source code with the fixed invariant values.

A third approach would be to use your native language as the Invariant language and get a translator to translate this into English. Generally most applications use English as the Invariant fallback language - so (like the first option) you would probably have to determine the UICulture to use yourself (ie you can't just set it to CurrentCulture).
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response.

The first approach is in principle possible, since the application will be such, that the user has to manually choose the language, ie, it will be ensured, that only available resources / cultures will be used. A disadvantage that I see, is that all the translators will still receive my poor translations as their templates.

For the second approach (which appears best to me at the moment), I am not quite sure about the workflow:
    * First of all I send e.g. 1000 strings to the English-English-translator.
    * She sends me back 100 corrected strings, which I copy back to the invariant language
    * I delete the English language again
Now here comes the problem:
    * In the next release, 50 new strings have been added to the app
    * As for all the other translators, I want to send to the English-English translator just the 50 new strings - Can I do this somehow comfortably?

The third approach is not really an option, since we must send the original texts to the translators in english.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The workflow you would need would be:

* You export the English translations and send them to the translator
* She fixes any problems and sends you back the modified exported workspace.
* You import the translations back into your master workspace - this ensures that if you have added new translations or changed the invariant text those translations won't be overwritten.
* Before you actually release your software you copy the English translations to the Invariant, delete the English culture from the workspace and build the invariant resources from Globalizer.NET.

So it is just like any other language during development - however once you have finalized translations and are ready to release your software you copy the translations to the Invariant and build the invariant resources.
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I think I will find out the rest when I am working with the product. For now I am confident enough, to start with the project.
hofingerandi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using english as invariant language and german as translation. All texts are at first generated by myself. Later I create a (standard) german.gxz and a (mostly empty) english.gxz which I send to the product manager.

I now received the updated/corrected files, imported the files and replaced the invariant language with the corrected english entries.

Now for the scenario that I described in a posting above:
I scan the application for new texts and can see easily in the Globalizer Developer edition, which texts have been added.
For the german ones, I add translations, and mark them as "Needs Review".
For the invariant ones, I also wanted to set the status (of the empty english translation) to "Needs Review", but this status is removed, when I save the file.

As a workaround, I inserted pseudo-translations, set the status to "Needs Review" and sent this file to the product manager.

Of course these pseudo-translations lead to some confusion for the translator, thus it would be nice, if I could set the status "review required" also for empty items.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will look at allowing the status to be saved for empty translations in the next release. In the meantime I think it would be better if you have your English translator copy the invariant to the English column even if they are the same - as they review and fix issues. That way the English will be like any other translation and will get marked as Needs Review when the invariant changes. The only difference from a normal translation language will be that you won't build the English resources and instead copy them back to the Invariant before building.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.3.9 of Globalizer.NET has now been released and fixes the issue with the Translation Status not being saved for empty translations. See the release notes for full details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: