Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configure License Tracker Database - Godaddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Configure License Tracker Database - Godaddy Reply with quote

Hi, I have purchased and installed ILS. I have tested the activation service locally and all is fine. I purchased Godaddy hosting and set up MSSQL, set for remote access. I installed the activation service and it all seems ok. Now, the problem occurs when I am trying to run the License Tracker Configuration Wizard 4.7. I go through the steps, enter the url, database name, password, but then when it tries to connect, I get the following error:

Connection Error

There was an error opening a connection to the database. Check the connection parameters are correct.
:
:
Error: Invalid Schema Version: 4.2.0

I have DSN and ASP Schema set to be uninstalled on Godaddy. There's not much else I can see to try, so at this point I am thinking of ditching Godaddy and going with anothr MS SQL provider.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are trying to configure License Tracker to use the database created by Authentication Server install. If you create the database during the Authentication Server install (by specifying an empty database) then it will create a cut down database that only contains the data tables required for authentication. License Tracker cannot use this database. The Authentication Server can be configured to use an existing License Tracker database instead - but it won't create that for you.

To create a License Tracker database first create an empty database on your SQL Server and then use the License Tracker configuration wizard to create the database tables in that database.

Having said all that I'm not sure how running the License Tracker SQL Database on a remotely hosted Godaddy server will go performance wise. You may find it a bit slow when using License Tracker. The alternative is to host the License Tracker database on your local machine (either Access or SQL) and then use the Authentication Import Data function to import data from the Authentication database.

Let us know how you go.
Andy500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Configure License Tracker Database - Godaddy Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and info. However I think you have misunderstood my posting. I cannot get the Configure Tracker Database to work for my remote MS SQL database. It works for local DBs, but not for my remote DB. In fact, I tried another one, it also didn't work. But just to be sure I used a MS SQL Admin Tool to connect. All fine there. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the configure Wizard doesn't seem to want to work properly.

You said:

"To create a License Tracker database first create an empty database on your SQL Server and then use the License Tracker configuration wizard to create the database tables in that database. "

Ok, so I have created an empty database, but the Wizard won't connect.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error you reported:

Quote:
Error: Invalid Schema Version: 4.2.0

led me to believe that was issue - since 4.2.0 is the schema version of the current Authentication Database whereas license tracker does not have that schema version. It looked like your connection had actually succeeded - however the schema was incorrect.

Connecting to remotely hosted databases is not really a scenario that we recommend because of the performance issues I mentioned previously. What error are you actually seeing now when you try to connect to the database?
Andy500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so on the second MS SQL database, hosted on a different ISP/server, this time I get the following error:

[DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Invalid Instance()).]Invalid connection.

I use the exact same connection details in terms of server name, database name, user name, password with an MS SQL Server Admin program and can connect to it ok.

I realize there may be issues with performance, but at this point I am not concerned about that. I would prefer to work with one online database and I thought the License Tracker could work with that same database, wherever it was located. Is this not correct?

Actually, I would prefer to have a simpler standalone program that can a) generate keys and b) authenticate licenses manually without having to talk to the authentication server/database at all, except for ensuring that the authentication server has a record of the product license info. But for now, maybe the best thing is for me to obtain the source of the License Tracker to get it working. Does the source include the Configuration Wizard?

Thanks.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the License Tracker source code does include source for the installer.

Have you tried running License Tracker with the database on your local machine and importing authentications from the Authentication Server? This really does work very well when you aren't hosting your own website and sounds quite close to what you say you would like.
Andy500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will probably do that, however I did find out that there is something interesting going on. I set up and tried MS SQL databases on 3 different web hosts:

GoDaddy
Arvixe
DiscountASP.net

I could only manage to get DiscountASP.NET working with your configure License Tracker Database Wizard 4.7. The others just seemed to time out and return errors. It costs a little more than the others, but my experience with them is that their stuff works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: