Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unnecessary resource file changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Unnecessary resource file changes Reply with quote

When I use the VS gui to change properties on a VirtualTree (either simple properties, or using the Virtual Tree Editor), the resource file (.resx) is regenerated every time, possibly moving around unchanged elements in the xml file. This is rather annoying when the file is in a version control system, and I would like to keep changes to a minimum.

This is a general VS Windows.Forms problem, but in my experience it's more annoying when working with a VirtualTree, since I tend to change things a lot Smile Wouldn't it be possible to generate resource files in a deterministic manner? Any workaround will do...
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to help you here - but this one is out of our control - it is determined by the Windows Forms code/resource serializer we don't have any control over the order.

Are you turning Localizable on for the form? This will mean that alot more resources are saved in the resx file than otherwize. If you are not shipping multilingual apps then turn this off.

One of the annoying things about the otherwise excellent internationalization features in .NET is that you don't have any control over which properties are stuffed in the resource file when you make a form localizable. Generally you only want the strings and maybe one or two other properties - but its all or nothing. We have toyed with the idea of developing a post processor to strip out all the code (and resources) that don't need localization - but are not sure there is a big enough market to justify development.
MHB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's out of your control, I was just hoping you or some other user might know a work-around Wink I've googled around a bit, but didn't really find anything.

I'm not currently using Localizable, so it's not yet as bad as it can get...
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: uhh Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: