Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if an object has multiple properties that are collectio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarrad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: What if an object has multiple properties that are collectio Reply with quote

What if an object has multiple properties that are collection? Is there going to be a DataSetRowBinding functionality added to the object binding? Maybe, instead of 'ChildProperty', a collection of pairs of display label and ChildProperty?

How do I create my own binding and have it appear with the rest to choose from? You know pluggability. I'd rather create my own binding that I can more easily reuse than use the events but I would still like full design time support.

What about embedded objects where the object has a reference to another object? Sometimes I would like to display it embedded into the parent objects columns. At other times it would be could to display it as a child item.

Are you going add the abilility to choose the type in an assembly in addition of specifying the full name?

One final question. First of all, I like your tree alot. I've been looking for the .NET equivalent of Java's Swing JTree for years and yours is it. Your price is right also. Now my question. What type of updates and support do I get for the $120. Can the control be distributed royaly free? When I buy your tree can I expected I will get any of these necessary features or will I have to pay another $120 for 1.4? I am trying to ascertain what is cheaper paying $120 a month every month or pay more initially to competitor, for an inferior product?
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What if an object has multiple properties that are collection? Is there going to be a DataSetRowBinding functionality added to the object binding? Maybe, instead of 'ChildProperty', a collection of pairs of display label and ChildProperty?

I’m not sure I understand fully what you are asking here. If an object has multiple properties you can display each property in a separate column of the virtual tree. This is done by adding ObjectCellBindings to the ObjectRowBinding – one for each property you want to display – that map a property to a column.

Quote:
How do I create my own binding and have it appear with the rest to choose from?

At the moment you can’t derive your own binding and have the VirtualTree editor create that binding for you. To get reusability the normal method would be to inherit a new class from VirtualTree (or contain it in another control). You can then use standard object bindings to do the bulk of work and override the data methods OnGetRowData, OnGetCellData etc where you need more control – see the FileBrowser sample and the section in help “Programmatic Data Binding” for more info. If after you’ve used VirtualTree for a while you still see a need for plugging in new bindings types to the editor then let us know and we will consider adding this feature.

Quote:
What about embedded objects where the object has a reference to another object? Sometimes I would like to display it embedded into the parent objects columns. At other times it would be could to display it as a child item.

There are two ways you could display an embedded item in the parents columns. The first is to add a property to the parent object that exposes the embedded property you want to display – eg add ChildName property to expose the name of the child – then use standard object binding to display the property.

The second method is to override the OnGetCellData method (or handle the GetCellData event) to handle the particular column you want to display the child property in – then programmatically return the property of the embedded child object that you wish to display. By also overriding the GetChildren method you could also dynamically change whether the children were displayed as child rows or embedded in the parents columns.

Quote:
Are you going add the abilility to choose the type in an assembly in addition of specifying the full name?

Not sure what you mean here. You can select the type that an Object binding applies to from a drop down list in the editor. You can also manually key in the type name to bind to.

Quote:
One final question. First of all, I like your tree alot. I've been looking for the .NET equivalent of Java's Swing JTree for years and yours is it. Your price is right also. Now my question. What type of updates and support do I get for the $120. Can the control be distributed royaly free? When I buy your tree can I expected I will get any of these necessary features or will I have to pay another $120 for 1.4? I am trying to ascertain what is cheaper paying $120 a month every month or pay more initially to competitor, for an inferior product?

You get full ongoing support and free updates for your $120. If there was in the future major new functionality added to the control then we may decide to license this separately – but none of the types of feature requests you have mentioned would fall in this category – and there is no new major functionality on the drawing board that would fall into that category.

The control is royalty free. We are very receptive to customer requirements and will add requested features where they don’t compromise the design and performance of the product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Tree Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: