Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Product keys that are not assigned to sales in license track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricTheViking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Product keys that are not assigned to sales in license track Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure how best to describe this question - but here goes...

I create a new product key in license tracker.

When I create a new sale, the key I generated appears in the list when I click 'Select' next to 'License Keys' in the 'Add/Edit Sale' window. When I select the key and assign it to a sale it no longer appears the list.

If I generate 50 keys and put them on a COA sticker on a boxed product, but don't assign them to a sale, will they always appear in the 'Add License Keys to Sale' window?

Or will the keys disappear from this list as they are activated?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by COA? But if the keys aren't assigned to a sale then they will remain visible in the list of keys you can select from for the given distributor.

If you are generate keys for a given distributor then these keys won't be in the list of selectable license keys if you create a sale for another distributor.
EricTheViking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COA = Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker with the product key on it).

So if I generate a key, and sell it to someone and they activate the key will it still show as a selectable license key?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have sold it (ie created a sale in License Tracker that uses the key) then that key won't show up in the selectable keys. The list only contains the unsold keys for the given distributor.
EricTheViking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say 'sell' it I mean in the physical sense.

I knew this would be difficult to explain.

If I generate a key, and give it to someone (without raising a sale in tracker) and they activate the key will it still show as a selectable license key?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't created a sale in License Tracker then it will still be in the list - even if authenticated. Why wouldn't you create a sale if you have sold it (or even given it away)?
EricTheViking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why wouldn't you create a sale if you have sold it (or even given it away)?"

Lets say I create 50 boxed products of my software, I generate 50 product keys in License Tracker.

The keys are printed to labels that are stuck inside each product box.

The products sit on a shelf in my retail outlet (or in a stock room) waiting to be sold.

So up to this point no sale has been made.

If I then sell a copy online, I generate a key, create a customer and a sale in license tracker - I then have 51 product keys to select from and it's a concious step to select the correct newly generated key from the list. Would be easy to make a mistake and select a key that's sitting on a shelf in a box and not yet sold.

What I have done to make this simpler is to create separate distributors for each of my own outlets for the product i.e. I can sell my product directly online, via my retail shop or via trade shows etc... That way I can generate 50 keys for my retail outlet distributor, and when I sell a product online I generate a key for that sale, select my online distributor and only see the newly created key for that distributor.

From what you're saying regarding authentication, if someone buys one of my boxed products directly from me (effectively an anonymous sale if they've bought it over the counter of the shop) the product key will always be selectable for that distributor as no sale will have been raised in license tracker.

Is there a way (or a future mod you can do) that will let me generate a block of keys and make them unselectable without raising a sale for them?

Maybe there's a better approach you could suggest for this?
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you create different distributors for selling your box product and for your online sales where you generate a key. That way when you generate a key for your online sales you won't see the boxed product license keys.

Alternatively instead of selecting existing license keys when creating a sale for online purchase you could use the "Generate" button in the Sale dialog to generate new keys at the point of sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: