Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto translation has stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdejong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Auto translation has stopped working Reply with quote

I was working on a project and for the most part the auto translation was working great. I then added an additional project and now the auto translation does not work at all. A brief flash of the progress bar appears but no translation. Even if I clear out a translation that was already performed and attempt to auto translate again it will not work.

I have re-booted the computer, and removed the last added project with no changes.

I have also created a new globalizer project and added a VS project and the auto translation will not work.

A side note on this one, this was a project that had already been translated but adding it to a new globalizer project replaced all the translations with the text from the invariant language. Sad

The Ctrl+T to translate Duplicates is also not working in this project or any other projects I start with Globalizer. - Reminder, I have already re-booted and removed and reinstalled the application.

Are there log or error files that I can send to you? It is impossible to send you our projects and code since it is internal IP and is not allowed.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very strange. Is this happening with both Bing and Google translation services? I've just double checked the release and both seem to be working OK.

The only thing I can think of is that you are selecting items that already have translations. Globalizer.NET will not override items that already have translations with automatic translations. Because a selection may contain both items that do and don't have translations the progress bar will still appear (but very briefly because there is nothing to be done) in this case. If you do want to do this then you need to delete the existing translations first then auto translate.

Quote:
A side note on this one, this was a project that had already been translated but adding it to a new globalizer project replaced all the translations with the text from the invariant language.

What sort of project is this (ie C#/VB, Windows Forms, WPF)?
When you scanned the the project did you select "Scan All Cultures"? This will automatically import existing resx resources for other cultures if they are built as part of the project. You can try this with one of the sample Windows Forms projects. Simply remove the French language from the Globalizer.NET workspace, then check the "Scan All Cultures" checkbox when scanning. This will reimport all the French translations from the Visual Studio project resx files. I have just double checked this mechanism in Version 2.0.1 and it appears to be working without issues.

Quote:
The Ctrl+T to translate Duplicates is also not working in this project or any other projects I start with Globalizer.

Translate Duplicates is the same as Auto Translate and will not override non-empty translations, so this is possible the same issue.

Quote:
Are there log or error files that I can send to you? It is impossible to send you our projects and code since it is internal IP and is not allowed.

Any exceptions and errors are reported to the Output Window. So if you are having a problem then check this. Can you send us just your Globalizer.NET workspace? If IP concerns prevent this then if you can replicate the problem in either one of our sample Globalizer.NET workspaces or create a small test workspace then this would certainly help us track down any issues.
bdejong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is very strange. Is this happening with both Bing and Google translation services? I've just double checked the release and both seem to be working OK.

The only thing I can think of is that you are selecting items that already have translations. Globalizer.NET will not override items that already have translations with automatic translations. Because a selection may contain both items that do and don't have translations the progress bar will still appear (but very briefly because there is nothing to be done) in this case. If you do want to do this then you need to delete the existing translations first then auto translate.

Yes, BOTH Bing and Google. As stated in my first post -
Quote:
I have also created a new globalizer project and added a VS project and the auto translation will not work.

Quote:

Even if I clear out a translation that was already performed and attempt to auto translate again it will not work.

Also this is not working on either a single item or a selection of items. None of which have translations.

Quote:
What sort of project is this (ie C#/VB, Windows Forms, WPF)?

This is a VB.Net project from VS2008 SP1 on a Windows XP machine.

Quote:
Translate Duplicates is the same as Auto Translate and will not override non-empty translations, so this is possible the same issue.

I have tried this only on items that have no translations. Lets take for example that I have a word called Queued, it is showing on my screen 5 times. I translate the first one and the attempt to use Ctrl-T to fill in the duplicates while selecting one of the ones that has not yet been translated. I will see the same flash of a progressbar, but with no translation.

I see no errors in the output window. If I load the sample VS2008 VB.NEt application and clear out all translations the application still does not auto translate with either Bing or Google, but translate duplicates does work. The other difference is that all of my assemblies are strong named, when I load the project it prompts me for a password, I click on cancel and go to properties and then load the strong name file.

The issue here is that I have committed to a deadline for the completion of the first pass machine translation that I will now have to complete by copy+paste. This solution consists of 11 projects with over 4,000 items to translate. And each round of posts we have takes two days to complete. Is there any way to move this along a little faster without having to send you my code which my company will not allow? I can send the globalizer project file, just provide an address.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can email your Globalizer.NET workspace to support@infralution.com.

Have you tried opening one of the sample projects and trying the Auto Translate and Translate Duplicates in it?

If you use the menus instead of the shortcut (Ctrl-T) does this work?

What operating system are you using?

If you use a different computer does it make a difference? (you can install the trial version of Globalizer.NET on another computer if you don't want to install the license).

I know this is frustrating - but unfortunately in all my testing I'm unable to replicate any of the issues so far and we haven't had these issues reported by any other users as yet. If you can send us a workspace which is having the issue and give us a step by step description of what you are doing and the results then that may help us pin down the problem.
bdejong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried opening one of the sample projects and trying the Auto Translate and Translate Duplicates in it?

Here is the text from my previous Post about the sample projects.

If I load the sample VS2008 VB.NEt application and clear out all translations the application still does not auto translate with either Bing or Google, but translate duplicates does work.

Quote:
If you use the menus instead of the shortcut (Ctrl-T) does this work?

Neither the menu or the shortcut work for translating duplicates.

Quote:
What operating system are you using?

Again, from my previous post.
This is a VB.Net project from VS2008 SP1 on a Windows XP machine

I will send the Globalizer project file right now and test it on another computer system.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I have repeated the same questions - sometimes with a long thread like this it is difficult to keep track - its also 11pm here which might explain it!

Quote:
If I load the sample VS2008 VB.NEt application and clear out all translations the application still does not auto translate with either Bing or Google, but translate duplicates does work.

How are you clearing out the translations? Are you using the Edit->Delete menu? If you add a new language and then try auto translating the new language is the same thing happening?

It really sounds from your description like Globalizer.NET is skipping the translations because it thinks they are already translated - but why this would be I can't work out.

I think I need some shuteye - so I will check in the morning for your email and response. If you can give a step by step description of what you are doing with the workspace that would really help. Treat us like a really dumb user who needs to be told every keystroke/mouseclick - that way if there is something different about how you are doing things we should be able to pick up on it.
bdejong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the trial version on another machine and a virtual machine that I have for development.

I exported the project to both of them and neither of them would auto translate or translate duplicates. I have sent you the project file.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I stayed up just a little bit later to try and resolve this Smile

I got your project file and the problem (I think) is as I described in my last post. Some how you have items which have an empty translation which have a "Translated Status". Globalizer.NET thinks that you have translated these and so will not auto translate them. The only way I can see you could have generated so many of these would be to copy and paste a space into all the cells.

The solution fortunately is easy. Simply sort by the Chinese language (by clicking on the column header) then the cells with the empty translations will all appear at the top. You can see that Globalizer.NET thinks they are translated because the of Green translation status (with a T). Select these empty (but translated) translations and then use the Edit->Delete menu to delete the translation. You will see the Translation status symbol change to a hollow white symbol and the background change to a light blue indicating that there is no translation. Auto Translate and Translate Duplicates will now work as you expect.
bdejong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infralution wrote:
Sorry if I have repeated the same questions - sometimes with a long thread like this it is difficult to keep track - its also 11pm here which might explain it!

Quote:

How are you clearing out the translations? Are you using the Edit->Delete menu? If you add a new language and then try auto translating the new language is the same thing happening?

It really sounds from your description like Globalizer.NET is skipping the translations because it thinks they are already translated - but why this would be I can't work out.

I think I need some shuteye - so I will check in the morning for your email and response. If you can give a step by step description of what you are doing with the workspace that would really help. Treat us like a really dumb user who needs to be told every keystroke/mouseclick - that way if there is something different about how you are doing things we should be able to pick up on it.

Idea Now, I also added a new language(French) and performed the auto translate and it worked. It now appears that Globalizer is not recognizing the backspace keys for clearing out a translation as deleting a translation. This is the cause of the issue. Crap, I had made the assumption that if I wanted to change a translation I could just select and press backspace. Sorry for all the confusion. I thought it was weird that it was working and then all of a sudden it stopped working. This was due to the fact that I had received a better translation for a word and had just selected the cell and pressed backspace.

Crisis over, thanks for asking so many questions, you may now go to work on the translation history dictionary feature I so desire to have.Very Happy
bdejong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We posted at the same time, thanks for staying late, sorry it was for a simple user error, but now I know, and knowledge is POWER!! Go to bed, have sweet dreams about how to implement the translation history dictionary..(Persistent little bugger I am)
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have used backspace and then enter - this will indeed leave an empty translation (but still marked as translated). This is because there is a difference in Globalizer.NET between an empty translation and an untranslated item. An untranslated item will default to the invariant - where as an empty translation is empty regardless of the invariant. This distinction can be important sometimes.

To avoid the issue use the Delete key (or Edit->Delete menu) instead. Now I really am going to bed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: