Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Of Registry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandyMac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Use Of Registry Reply with quote

I came across a problem with the EvaluationMonitor class earlier today. I had developed a class library for deployment on a web server. All working fine - until I uploaded it to my ISP when it fell about. Reason being that the account didn't have permission to use the registry.

Which is fine, I understand why etc. It looks as though I am going to have to use encryption of data stored in a database to manage licensing constraints.

However I wondered whether there were any other "bits" of Infralution license management which I would need to be careful about in terms of using the registry?

Andrew
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EvaluationMonitor is the only ILS class that uses the registry. Using the registry to store the encrypted evaluation data makes it that little bit more difficult for users to locate and tamper with it. It will use the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive if there are sufficient permissions otherwise it will use HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If your application doesn't have permission to either of these then you won't be able to use the EvaluationMonitor.
rocco76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post gives me the opportunity to make a feature request: why not create a backup copy of the trial info in a file located in the isolated storage (either machine or user)? The name of the file can be an hash of the registry key for immediate and easy access by the licensing class. This can also improve security by having another checkpoint of not easy access for the user.
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly something we will consider for a future release.
Infralution

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 4.6.0 now includes support for storing evaluation data either in registry (using RegistryEvaluationMonitor) or in Isolated Storage (using IsolatedStorageEvaluationMonitor).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: