Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

text in my code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david@windward.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: text in my code Reply with quote

Hi;

Globalizer.NET appears to scan the forms for all controls that have text in them. However, how does it handle text I have in my source code, such as MessageBoxes I have to pop-up at times?

Also, it lets me set the location/size of a control, but with no visible feedback while editing, how do I know if the changes I make will work well?

I'm comparing this to just having my translators use VS 2008.

thanks - dave
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Globalizer.NET appears to scan the forms for all controls that have text in them. However, how does it handle text I have in my source code, such as MessageBoxes I have to pop-up at times?

If you put the text you want to localize in the project resources rather than hardcoding then Globalizer.NET will extract and localize the text for you. This is exactly the same as what you would normally do with VS2008. There is an excellent plugin for Visual Studio that can help you make the require changes if you have an existing project with hardcoded strings. You can find it here

Quote:
Also, it lets me set the location/size of a control, but with no visible feedback while editing, how do I know if the changes I make will work well?

When you make a change to the sizes you can use the Preview menu to display the form with the changes. This is not intended as a replacement for the Visual Studio forms editor - but it does allow a translator to make the limited changes typically required for a well designed application.

Quote:
I'm comparing this to just having my translators use VS 2008.

Some of the problems with having your translators use VS2008 are:

• You have to give them your intellectual property
  • Most translators are not highly skilled programmers and Visual Studio is a very complex tool to learn to use effectively.
  • Visual Studio allows the translator to make major changes to the form layout. Globalizer.NET allows you to control and limit which resources the translator can edit through the use of scan filters.
  • Visual Studio does not provide a way for the translator to automatically translate common strings that occur accros multiple forms/controls. They end up repeating their work multiple times.
  • Unless you completely freeze any code development while the translation is being done then you will have major issues managing the change process and ensuring that all resources have been translated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Globalizer Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: