Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing using the IPN Test Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freakybean

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Testing using the IPN Test Tool Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been following the steps in the Getting Started portion of the IPN.NET documentation, and thus far have been successful in running the IPN.NET server locally using the ASP.NET server. Now I am trying to use the IPN Test Tool but have not been able to get it to work. I set the following setting correctly (I think): MailServer, PaypalEmail, PurchaseFromEmail, NotificationToEmail, NotificationFromEmail. But when I run it I try to Post Data (File > Post Data) I have gotten (at different times) the following error messages:
1. Post Error
Error posting data: the remote server returned an error: (405) Method Not Allowed.
I’ve read the thread regarding this error: http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=575 but the difference is that I am still trying to get it to work locally and have not put the server on my web host, so I have tried changing the Web.Config file setting from
<trace enabled="true" localOnly="false"/>
To:
<trace enabled="true" localOnly="true"/>
But this resulted in the second error:
2. Post Error
Error posting data: the underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Also I should mention that I changed a few things in the Setting.xml file (such as the name of the product and the price) but then thought that this should in fact match exactly the Ipn Test Tool Cart Item, so I changed back the price, and product name to the default (120, My product). I am afraid that if I missed one of the settings, like the
<!-- Cost per unit in $US -->
<CostPerUnit>20</CostPerUnit>
So that it isn’t how it was originally that this could have resulted in the one of the error messages. I tried uninstalling IPN.NET and reinstalling it hoping that it will reset the default Setting.xml file but it hasn’t.

I think it should be fairly simple to get past this issue, but I seem to be stuck on it. Please advice.
Thanks!
freakybean

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Also I should add Reply with quote

that in the IPN.NET documentation where it says:
business - set this to the primary email address associated with your PayPal account
receiver_email - as above

I set this to the email account associated with my PayPal Sandbox account (the one i signed up with let say myname@mycompany.com) because i am still testing it, and do not want to use a real paypal account yet. With this email address i open a buisness account and a personal account that can be opperated withing Sandbox, they are something along the lines of

a buisness account:
name_1111111111_biz@mycompany.com
a personal account:
name_1111111111_personal@mycompany.com

Am I entering entering the right email address (myname@mycompany.com) ?

Thanks again!
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So that it isn’t how it was originally that this could have resulted in the one of the error messages. I tried uninstalling IPN.NET and reinstalling it hoping that it will reset the default Setting.xml file but it hasn’t.

The Settings.xml file is not overwritten when you reinstall - to avoid overwriting customizations you might have made. You can however just delete the file and reinstall to reset it the original values.

Quote:
I’ve read the thread regarding this error: http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=575 but the difference is that I am still trying to get it to work locally and have not put the server on my web host, so I have tried changing the Web.Config file setting from
<trace enabled="true" localOnly="false"/>
To:
<trace enabled="true" localOnly="true"/>

You shouldn't need to change the config file to run the server (either locally or on your web host).

How are running the IPN.NET server locally (since your previous post seemed to indicate you only had C# express)?

If you are running using the local ASP.NET development server then the server_url should be something like:

http://localhost:1338/IPN/Default.aspx

Check that you can open this web page in internet explorer (it should be blank with the title "Welcome".

If your post is failing then you may need to check the trace to see what happened. Open the following web page in explorer (assuming you are using the local development server with port 1338):

http://localhost:1338/IPN/Trace.axd

You should then be able to see the Post/Gets listed. Expand the Post and see if you can see an error listed (it should be in red). This will give us some ideas about what the problem may be.
freakybean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I've followed the instructions about reseting the Settings.xml file and that went fine.
Good point about the C# Express - I am testing IPN.NET on a pc with Visual Studio 2005 Standard (thought it would be easier to test it this way), and i figured that when I get this to work i will later trasfer to the PC with C# Express (which is the pc that i will be running the IPN.NET server from, but I will cross that bridge when i get to it).

When I am running using the local ASP.NET development server, the server_url (the empy web page that opens with "Welcome") is http://localhost:1338/IPN/ - and this is what i set it to in the IPN Test tool and get the followng error:
Error posting data: the underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
And when i go to http://localhost:1338/IPN/Trace.axd and epand the
POST there are no errors (shown in red). And there is no GET.

[quote]
If you are running using the local ASP.NET development server then the server_url should be something like:

http://localhost:1338/IPN/Default.aspx
[/quote]

When i put http://localhost:1338/IPN/Default.aspx in the server_url i get the following error:
Error posting data: The remote server returned and error: (500) internal server error.
Along with the POST error (in red) in the http://localhost:1338/IPN/Trace.axd (still no GET):
[color=red]Unhandled Exception: SmtpException
Message: Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 <myname@mycomapny.com>: Sender address rejected: Access denied [/color]

and:

[color=red]Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 <myname@mycomapny.com>: Sender address rejected: Access denied[/color]

I assume this is because the local host server_url is not correct. is that right, or is is something else?

I am lost as to what to do next, i don't see why i am not able to pass this posting data hurdle. I look forward to your response.
Thanks!
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct server url is the second one (http://localhost:1338/IPN/Default.aspx). The error you are getting when using this URL is because the SMTP mail server you have configured in your Settings.xml file is rejecting your attempts to email.

Make sure that you have that you have configured the SMTP mail server settings in the Settings.xml file to match those you would use to send mail from your local machine.

Also make sure that the "PurchaseFromEmail" and "NotificationFromEmail" addresses are email addresses that you own - otherwise your SMTP server may reject the emails IPN.NET is trying to send as spam.
freakybean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I figured out the problem in the Settings.xml file : i needed to add the email account + password because it required authentication.

<!-- Name to use to login to the SMTP Server if authentication is required -->
<SmtpUserName>sellername.mycompany.com</SmtpUserName>

<!-- Password to use to login to the SMTP Server if authentication is required -->
<!-- NOTE: This is provided for local testing purposes only where your mail provider requires -->
<!-- authentication. Mail sent from a web server using the web host SMTP server does -->
<!-- not generally require authentication and storing the passwords on the server poses -->
<!-- a potential security risk -->
<SmtpPassword>mypassword</SmtpPassword>

So that issue is resolved and I was able to post data! However I only received one email verifiying the purchase –

Generated using an evaluation version of Infralution IPN Server
Thank you for your order of My Product. Your license key(s) for this product are listed below:
****license key*******
If you have any problems, please let us know.
Regards
MyCompany Support

This was sent from the seller email listed above (sellername.mycompany.com) to the customer email listed in the IPN.NET Test tool. I read in the documentaion that I am to get 2 emails (one to the customer and another to the vendor), but the vendor email never came. It was set as the email assosiated with my Paypal Sandbox account which is myname@mycompany.com (the one I use to sign in to paypal sandbox, seeing as the test email accounts are, I understande, only usable within sandbox and cannot be used to send or receive outside mails, they are usually name_1222333_biz@mycompany.com )
Is the only way to receive the vendor verification email with details of the purchase is by setting up a real Paypal account? Is it possible to put in simply any email as the vendor email and have it receive the verification? What am I doing wrong with this email setup, and where should I configure it (Settings.xml / Test tool / both)?
Looking forward to your fast reply.
Thanks!
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should set the NotificationToEmail address (in Settings.xml) to an email address that you can receive emails on. IPN.NET runs outside the PayPal sandbox - and so emails that it sends are not limited to sandbox addresses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> IPN.NET Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: