Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key Strength length

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dclus

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Key Strength length Reply with quote

I think the notion of including the customer name in Product Info and being able to display something like "Licensed to Joe Blow" is a great deterrent to lessen the more casual piracy issues.

When adding Product Info the length of the license key is longer. I simply entered a seven character word in my test and it increased the size by 16 hex characters...

Currently the minimum key strengh is 7 for the hex mode, would it make any sense to lower this if Product Info (customer names) are to be included in the key?

If so, how can I do that making the key strength lower when defining a product information/settings?

Thanks
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer the product info the longer the generated key (regardless of the key strength).

To reduce the size of the generated key you include a checksum on the data (eg company name) instead of the actual data. Then when you read the key you can validate that the data entered by the user (and stored somewhere eg in a database or registry) matches the checksum in the license key. The Custom Licensed Application sample illustrates doing this.
dclus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will live with the longer key.

What you suggest really makes sense if you can only validate them one time.

I am using a default value for the ProductInfo but if that value happens to be blank somehow (when entering sale) then when the program is executed it throws an exception error... tried a couple things to catch the error and not quite working... suggestion? I know this is pretty basic, guess I'm tired...

If isTrial = False Then
ProdInfo = sLicense.ProductInfo
End If
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am using a default value for the ProductInfo but if that value happens to be blank somehow (when entering sale) then when the program is executed it throws an exception error... tried a couple things to catch the error and not quite working... suggestion? I know this is pretty basic, guess I'm tired...

If isTrial = False Then
ProdInfo = sLicense.ProductInfo
End If

I'm sorry I don't quite follow what the problem is here. Have you turned exceptions on so they are caught in the debugger when first thrown (Debug->Exceptions menu)?

What is the exceptioin you are getting? At what line of code?
dclus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Tracker-> File->New->Sale
Select Generate (point of sale)
Product Info has a default value (thats how I set up the product)
But, If Product Info happens to be null/empty/nada (I fat finger it) and generate a license...
Then use that license with my application, I got an exception error...
As long as Product Info has a value it works great, I get the customer name from the key and display it on the main form "Licensed to: Joe Blow"

I changed some of my code around and now it is not throwing an error, I am just getting an empty string back... sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: