Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Application, Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dclus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: First Application, Newbie questions Reply with quote

As this is my first application deployment I am trying to understand the issuing of licenses for the basic trial/unlock scenario.

1) What is the basic concept to issuing licenses; assume a projection of thousands of sales/customers?

· Could you create a certain number of licenses and basically recycle these?

· Would you make batches of licenses for a given compiled executable and issue these and then create another batch, and so on. I assume a compiled executable will unlock to a specific set of licenses and are their synchronization issues doing this especially distributing via the Internet?

· Or, do you create a zillion licenses and be “good to go” forever issuing a unique license to each customer/sale? When License Keys are issued do they become unavailable to be re-issued

2) The large Infralution Icon on the License Tracker form is an excellent nag deterrent; is it only on the evaluation product as it is very distracting? If not could I suggest providing the option to not display it for registered users.

3) As far as scalability, let’s say that you have many thousands of customers and sales, the Customer Pop down list could be challenging to work with.

Thanks for your help
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you create a certain number of licenses and basically recycle these?

You generally create new license for each sale. Each license is given a unique serial number. This is an unsigned int16 so there are 65,536 possible unique numbers for a given serial number - after which License Tracker will automatically start recyling serial numbers. See the following topic for more info:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1095

You can either create license keys up front (to provide to a distributor) or generate them as required (when selling yourself).

Quote:
The large Infralution Icon on the License Tracker form is an excellent nag deterrent; is it only on the evaluation product as it is very distracting? If not could I suggest providing the option to not display it for registered users.

Sorry you don't like it - we can look at providing an option to change this. If you purchase the License Tracker source code you can of cours change/remove it.

Quote:
As far as scalability, let’s say that you have many thousands of customers and sales, the Customer Pop down list could be challenging to work with

We have thousands of customers and don't find it an issue. You don't generally have to use it because the normal mode of operation is to select a customer in the Customer view - then when you create a sale this customer is automatically selected. The only time you need to use it is for moving a sale from one customer to another - not a very common operation.
dclus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Continuing with Newbie quesions.. Reply with quote

1) Great, so with 65,536 licenses there should be no problem. I assume then when you create the product the Generate Keys at Point of Sale toggle should be selected?

2) Do you also enter 65,536 keys to create when you generate the keys? Not sure, then does the Generate Validation Parameters become humongous? And if so you would need to paste this into your code...

3) If you have a potential customer and add them under the Evaluation mode and they eventually purchase the product, by adding a serial number does it turn it from evaluation to a sale? How does this work?

4) The large Infralution Icon becomes an eye sore to me and becomes distracting... it is a nice looking icon its just the placement on the worksurface. It is not so bad with a narrow height screen as the graphic scales down but if you maximze your window (I use 24" LCD) it become Goliath... sort of like a giant cyclops staring at you...lol

Thanks again for your time.
Infralution

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Great, so with 65,536 licenses there should be no problem. I assume then when you create the product the Generate Keys at Point of Sale toggle should be selected?

If you are selling licenses yourself (rather than using a distributor) you should tick this option.

Quote:
2) Do you also enter 65,536 keys to create when you generate the keys? Not sure, then does the Generate Validation Parameters become humongous? And if so you would need to paste this into your code...

See the following thread for more information on this:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1085

Quote:
3) If you have a potential customer and add them under the Evaluation mode and they eventually purchase the product, by adding a serial number does it turn it from evaluation to a sale? How does this work?

The evaluation tab allows you to track customers who have downloaded you application for evaluation (if your distributor supports providing this information eg ShareIt). You can also use it if you issue license keys to enable time limited evaluations. When you sell the product you would normally create a separate Sale item.
dclus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Key Generator limits number of keys Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to follow the scenario of generating the maximum number of keys... I have entered the following;
Product Password -> xxxx
Key Strength-> 8 'ck' to Include Product Info Checksum
Text Encoding -> Base32
No. of Keys to Generate-> 65536
Start Serial No.-> 1

When I select Generate Validation Parameters it resets the No. of Keys to Generate to 10000

I guess I would then select Generate Keys afterwards but can't modify the number of keys t generate...

thanks
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you are using the simple "License Key Generator" application. Since this doesn't store the license keys it doesn't contain the logic to wrap the serial number. The License Tracker application stores the last serial number generated for each product and will automatically wrap the serial number once it reaches the maximum.
dclus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: License Key Generator Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,
I did figure out that this is done within the License Tracker, but, what is the purpose of the simple "License Key Generator" application?
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really just a simple mechanism to get you started when evaluating ILS. You can generate keys etc without having to first set up products and distributors and manage license keys. We recommend using License Tracker when you actually start generating licenses for real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: