Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

License keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sputnik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: License keys Reply with quote

I've gotten a little further along, and I'm confused again _ -
What's the recommended way - - create a whole lot of keys to begin with, and just randomly issue any one of them to a customer?

Also - Once I give a license key to a customer. What's to keep him from installing it on another computer, (or sharing it with another user) and using the same license key?

3 more questions -
1. how can I automatically fill in the price, when entering a new sale?
2. What's the reference textbox for?
3. Is there a way, to automatically generate an email, when entering the sale, and generating the license key, in order to send a thank you, along with the license key?

(sorry to have so many questions all in one post)
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also - Once I give a license key to a customer. What's to keep him from installing it on another computer, (or sharing it with another user) and using the same license key?

The only way to prevent sharing of keys is to lock keys to the PC hardware. It is possible to do this using ILS but it is not a solution we recommend. See the following FAQ for reasons and other options:

http://www.infralution.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5

Quote:
1. how can I automatically fill in the price, when entering a new sale?

If you are entering sales manually using license tracker then you can't do this at the moment. If you import XML sales data from a distributor or an automatic key registration system (such as our IPN.NET product) then the price can be imported.

Quote:
2. What's the reference textbox for?

If you are are using a 3rd party distributor or payment system then the reference lets you record their reference for the transaction.

Quote:
3. Is there a way, to automatically generate an email, when entering the sale, and generating the license key, in order to send a thank you, along with the license key?

No - normally you would sell your software either through a 3rd party distributor or using an automated payment/registration system like IPN.NET. These deliver license keys in real time to the customer as soon as their payment is processed. Most customers will not be happy if they have to wait for you to manually process their order. The ability to enter sales manually in License Tracker is really just to handle those cases where for some reason you have to process orders manually. Generally you should be aiming to import sales data (from the distributor or payment system) into License Tracker.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Auto generating licenses Reply with quote

Are there any other credit card processing companies out there that can do the auto generation of licenses (other than IPNNet)?

FOr instance - I use Digibuy for all my processing needs....there are others like that and I'd really rather not go through all the learning it seems like it will take to setup something through IPN Net - plus the added cost.

I need to get my app out the door quickly
Infralution

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 3rd party shareware distributors (eg ShareIt, Kagi etc) will provide facilities to allow you to autogenerate license keys. Generally you have to build an application (to their specifications) that they can run on their server to generate the keys given input. Credit card processing companies will generally not provide this facility (they will just process payments).

PayPal payment costs nothing to setup and is considerably cheaper then 3rd party vendors. It does take more work on you behalf to setup - but if you use IPN.NET you would normally recoup the cost within the first month or two given a decent sales volume.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your last message, you said:
"A good compromise can be to lock the license to the computer name. "

do you have any code, that describes how I would go about doing that?
Infralution

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a sample that does exactly this.

To lock the key to a computer name you must first get the name of the computer to lock the license to from the user (this complicates your distribution process and is probably only suitable if you are anticipating a smaller number of high value customers). You set the computer name (or a checksum of the computername) as the ProductInfo for the license key you issue. Then when you read the license in your application you check that the name of the computer the application is running on matches that in the license key.

You should note that most successful independant software vendors (for exampe Winzip) do not attempt to lock their licenses to PC hardware in anyway. They simply build into their pricing model the fact that some users may use their key to license multiple PCs in breach of the license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: