Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ProductInfo.String on Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobT

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: ProductInfo.String on Vista Reply with quote

Once an app is registered, I am using GetLicense.ProductInfo.String to display the registered user's name. The user's name was specified as the ProductInfo string when the keys were generated in License Tracker.

The code is simple:

Code:
Me.UiLabelRegisteredUser.Text = "This copy has been licensed to " & vLicenseProvider.GetLicense(System.Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData) & <license folder path> & <license file name>).ProductInfo.ToString & "."

Now, on XP, when the app displays this, it's fine. But on Vista, the ProductInfo string appears differently: it is the user's name followed by "f" then a square sysmbol (ASCII code?). The app is correctly licensed and everything else about ILS is fine.

What's going on here and how can I prevent this?

Rob
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just retested this functionality under Vista (both C# and VB source code) without any issues showing up. Some additional information might help us:

Are you including the licensing classes source code in your application? If so is it C# or VB?

How are you generating your license keys (through an ASP.NET server or using License Tracker, License Key Generator)?

What operating system are you generating your keys on?

What version of ILS are you using? Is the source code you are using the same version?

Have you installed the same key on both XP and Vista to verify that the problem is the OS - not the key.

This looks like it might be an encoding issue - does the registered name include non-ascii characters (eg é ç à). Our tests included extended non-ascii characters without any problems - but if you are generating the license automatically (using an ASP.NET server) the problem may be the encoding used to post data to your server app.
RobT

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the ILS dll in the application, version 3.4.0.0. The app is a VB.NET app.

I'm generating the keys - at the moment - on XP with License Tracker.

I've installed the key on both XP and Vista in the same version of the application. Only Vista shows this problem. I've tested on both apps by pasting the license key and manually entering it(!) - same difference.

The registered name includes no non-ascii characters.

Rob
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you email both the problem license key and your validation parameters (from your application code) to support@infralution.com and we will see if we can get to the bottom of it.
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We done more testing on Vista using different combinations of key strength, product info length and content and haven't been able to replicate any problem. I think we will really need the problem key and validation parameters to get to the bottom of it.

Is the problem happening for every key or just one?
Are you running 32 or 64 bit Vista/XP?
RobT

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've emailed you, as requested. Thanks.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for emailing the product key and validation parameters. I set up a simple project to validate the key. The trailing "f" actually appears in both XP and Vista - the box character that appears in Vista is due to the fact that the product data in the key contains an ASCII code "173" character as the last character. For some reason the .NET framework code that converts the binary data to the string representation:

Code:
string product = System.Text.ASCIIEncoding.UTF8.GetString(productData);

behaves slightly differently under Vista when dealing with the extended ASCII code. But probably the real issue is how did this extended character get there in the first place? I've tried generating keys using both License Tracker and License Key Generator with the Product Info set to the given name (with and without a trailing "f"). I was unable to generate a key with the trailing ascii 173 character.

I thought the issue may be related to the locale you are running License Tracker under when generating the key - but switching this also made no difference.

My best guess at this stage is that somehow you accidently entered a strange key sequence when keying in the product info. A couple of extra questions to maybe clear up the issue...

Did you manually enter the product info - or did you use a CustomGenerator extension for License Tracker to generate it?

Can you replicate the problem by generating another key on your system with the same (intended) Product Info?
RobT

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manually entered the product info, so this does open the possibility that I accidentally entered a strange key sequence in addition to the intended product info, but I really don't think that did happen given that I was being especially careful to verify all inputs and outputs, this being the final stage of development and testing.

However, it seems that this 'bug' isn't replicable now: at any rate a newly generated key seems to be handled fine on XP and Vista.

It's a bit disturbing that the .NET framework seems function differently on these two OSes.

I'll keep a close eye on how this behaves and come back if there are continuing anomalies.

I appreciate your support. Thanks.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Licensing Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: