Infralution Support Forum Index Infralution Support
Support groups for Infralution products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatability with Janus Systems GridEX grid control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Data Objects Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Harris

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Compatability with Janus Systems GridEX grid control Reply with quote

Hello. I am evaluating Virtual Data Objects. The binding and updating seems to work great with all the native .net controls I've tried with. However when I use VDO as the data source for a Janus GridEX grid control, edits made in the grid are not saved. I can edit a cell, but when I move off the row the change is immediately discarded and the original value reappears. The GridEx control does not exhibit this behavior when bound to a regular ADO.NET data source.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks!

-Robert
Infralution

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a known issue with VDO. It sounds like it may be an issue with the way the JanusGridEx is implemented.
Robert Harris

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you recommend a 3rd party grid control that has been tested with VDO?

Thanks - Robert
Infralution

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could certainly take a look at our Virtual Tree component. It is more then a grid - but can be used as just a grid and provides all the normal grid functionality plus more.
Robert Harris

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Virtual Tree as a simple grid control Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm evaluating Virtual Tree 3.0 now, but I'm having trouble with the initial setup. I have a Virtual Recordset on my form as a datasource. I set the Tree's dataSource to the virtual recordset at design time, and it appears to auto generate columns. However when I display the form data only appears for the first column, all the other columns are blank. I've looked through the help and the sample projects that display the tree as a grid, but I'm having trouble finding what settings to use. How do I use Virtual Tree like a standard grid?

Thanks.
Infralution

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with one of the Virtual Data sample projects first maybe. Open the Simple Data Binding sample project (C# or VB). Open the main form in the designer. You should see the data from the Northwind database displayed. Now add a Virtual Tree control to the form (on top of the grid for now). Set the DataSource to the "_customersRecord". Virtual Tree should create columns for each of the fields and data bindings that map the fields in the database to the columns. You can edit these be right clicking on the control and selecting "Edit Virtual Tree".

Unlike a simple list view, Virtual Tree can support displaying items of different types. For each type of item displayed you need to define a "Row Binding" that maps the fields of the item to the columns of the tree. When you set the DataSource at design time Virtual Tree will generate these automatically. You can then edit them manually.

Note that by default the root item is the DataSource. For a grid type display you typically don't want to display this - so you would set ShowRootRow to false.

If you are using strongly typed recordsets then you typically need to setup the bindings manually. Check out the Virtual Tree Database Browser sample project. This uses Virtual Data Objects to display data from an access database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infralution Support Forum Index -> Virtual Data Objects Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: